Good ATX Board for i5-750 & ATI 5770

Hey guys, I'm looking into possibly building a computer with the intent of overclocking the following processor and video card:

Intel Core i5-750
XFX Radeon HD 5770

I saw that this Gigabyte GA-P55M motherboard was used in a overclock test for both the components listed above but I just realized that the board is a micro ATX, so I'm wondering if there would be any problems if I were to put that board into the Antec 900 case. If I were looking to avoid any such issues of the board matching up with the side of the case, what would be a good alternative regular ATX board that I could use?
7 answers Last reply
More about good board 5770
  1. here is a list of boards, it all comes down to your needs.. you will not have any issues with the installation regardless of the brand or form factor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=%2040000280&Description=P55&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

i would not bother with boards priced higher than 199.99$ unless you will actually use all of their features...
  2. A micro ATX board will work fine in your case. Only difference between ATX and Micro ATX is the ATX is a little longer to have more PCI slots so if you are not concerned about having more PCI slots you are good.
  3. Thank you for the list, the Asus P7P55D looks like a good alternative since I'm also a bit tentative about the length of the ATI 5770 on a micro ATX board. Do the different motherboards matter in terms of how they will handle overclocking on the ATI 5770 or will they all generally be OK?
  4. You will be fine regardless of the size of the board. I normally don't bother with m-ATX unless I am building an HTCP/entertainment system but that is just me. If you do not need all the PCI-E/PCI slots then you will be fine with an m-ATX board.
  5. P55 series does not support integrated Graphic (ie I3-5xx, 6xx). H55/57 support integrated Graphic CPU's

Just bought the Gigabyte P55M-UD2H
    Plus, or minus, depends on how you look at it. It has a DVI and a HDMI connector for use with the I3 series and some I5's that have integrated graohics. The I5-750 can not take advantage of thoes connector.

I've noted several posters that like the Gigabyte P55-UD4P (arrox $150 -> 160
    I have that board and Like it (with I5-750 OCed to 3.6 and a 5770 GPU)
    However, they have the
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128409
    Simular, but has the new USB3 and Sata 6. Don't get this one if you plan on crossfire with 2 Video cards. If you enable SATA 6 and USB 3, you loose the 2nd PCI-E slot - Reason I opted for the NON A version.

Asus Makes some great boards also, just more familoar with Gigabyte and tend to prefer.
  6. Thank you for the input and assurance, I'm going to take a look at my current and future needs and decide between those two boards.
  7. he has a GPU, I doubt he will opt for integrated graphics..
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking ATX Intel i5 Product