Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
  • ATX
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2010 6:25:47 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking into possibly building a computer with the intent of overclocking the following processor and video card:

Intel Core i5-750
XFX Radeon HD 5770

I saw that this Gigabyte GA-P55M motherboard was used in a overclock test for both the components listed above but I just realized that the board is a micro ATX, so I'm wondering if there would be any problems if I were to put that board into the Antec 900 case. If I were looking to avoid any such issues of the board matching up with the side of the case, what would be a good alternative regular ATX board that I could use?

More about : good atx board 750 ati 5770

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 6:33:43 PM

here is a list of boards, it all comes down to your needs.. you will not have any issues with the installation regardless of the brand or form factor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

i would not bother with boards priced higher than 199.99$ unless you will actually use all of their features...
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 6:35:20 PM

A micro ATX board will work fine in your case. Only difference between ATX and Micro ATX is the ATX is a little longer to have more PCI slots so if you are not concerned about having more PCI slots you are good.
Related resources
March 8, 2010 6:51:36 PM

Thank you for the list, the Asus P7P55D looks like a good alternative since I'm also a bit tentative about the length of the ATI 5770 on a micro ATX board. Do the different motherboards matter in terms of how they will handle overclocking on the ATI 5770 or will they all generally be OK?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 6:57:00 PM

You will be fine regardless of the size of the board. I normally don't bother with m-ATX unless I am building an HTCP/entertainment system but that is just me. If you do not need all the PCI-E/PCI slots then you will be fine with an m-ATX board.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 7:00:41 PM

P55 series does not support integrated Graphic (ie I3-5xx, 6xx). H55/57 support integrated Graphic CPU's

Just bought the Gigabyte P55M-UD2H
Plus, or minus, depends on how you look at it. It has a DVI and a HDMI connector for use with the I3 series and some I5's that have integrated graohics. The I5-750 can not take advantage of thoes connector.

I've noted several posters that like the Gigabyte P55-UD4P (arrox $150 -> 160
I have that board and Like it (with I5-750 OCed to 3.6 and a 5770 GPU)
However, they have the
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Simular, but has the new USB3 and Sata 6. Don't get this one if you plan on crossfire with 2 Video cards. If you enable SATA 6 and USB 3, you loose the 2nd PCI-E slot - Reason I opted for the NON A version.

Asus Makes some great boards also, just more familoar with Gigabyte and tend to prefer.
March 8, 2010 7:03:59 PM

Thank you for the input and assurance, I'm going to take a look at my current and future needs and decide between those two boards.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 7:06:11 PM

he has a GPU, I doubt he will opt for integrated graphics..
!