What's wrong now...

bbtennis1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Just set up in case a new rma-replacement Asus P5B-D MB, new gtx280, and 4 gig of new memory. When I powered up all the fans were turning, but nothing on screen...no boot-up...nada. With or without HD connected, or with 1 or 2 sticks of ram in, it gets to the opening MB screen...but cannot hit "delete" key to get to bios...just stays on this opening screen...

The only existing components still being used from before the prevous P5B-D MB failure are the E8400 cpu, the sata HD, and the PCP&C 610W PS...

What's the next diagnostic step... take an older HD w/ same OS and pop it in...if works w/ that, then it's the HD...Or, pull off cooler, remove the E8400, put in the old 6600 to see if it's the cpu?

Thanks for any feedback

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

unplug all drives from the motherboard and see if you can get into the bios
if not try another mouse and keyboard - beg borrow or steal a pair ( hellboy does not encourage stealing anything and was said in jest ) then try that and let us know.

put in the old 6600 cpu
flash motherboard to latest bios
insert new cpu
try again..

bbtennis1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
VICTORY!!

I switched out the E8400 and put in the old 6600.... VOILA, mon amie....

SO...when I murdered the MB last month I also knocked off the cpu as well...a double-homicide...crap...that's the death penalty...I was looking for a "20 to life" sentence...

I need to order a new E8400 cpu....from whom? Newegg has been pretty good to me...reliable...I'm not getting it from someone else w/ no track record w/ me to save $20. or $30....

I may get a new PC power & Cooling PS also... my current on (610W- 49a on 12v rail) has only 1 "8 pin" connector(to MB)...so when I hooked up the GTX 280 (damn thing is a MONSTER....eats children and small dogs) I had to use the adaptor cables from evga... one was a 2 6-pin into an 8 pin, and other one was 2 molex into a 6 pin.... need a 6 and a 8 for the vid card...says in evga manual they recommend not using adaptor cables for long... the PCP&C Silencer 750Quad and the Turbo-Cool 860 I think has 3 8 pins...you recommend what, sirs?

Oh, it's not latest bios...have to flash to "1236" bios...

BTW... saw the GSP/Penn fight sat night...payperview.....WOW...my French HomeBoy won...tres bien, Georges...

bbtennis1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Yes, hope to flash tomm. It has the "1233" bios. The latest is the "1236"...actually the "1237", however, that bios is no longer listed at the Asus site.....HMM....

BTW... was going to flash it earlier, but my flash drive was not recognized...never happened before...hope I can get that to work tomm. AM...

Ordering new E8400 tonite or tomm..."CO" stepping I hope... never know...

I would not spend money on a new 8400 until you flash the latest BIOS revision.
If the current BIOS does not support the 45nm CPU's, that is most likely why it will not POST with the 8400 installed.
Anyhow, would be a waste to buy one if you didn't actually need it..............

bbtennis1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
DUH...

I see what you're saying... I have a bad cold and on medication...brain messed up...

The new MB had "1233" bios...did not recognize the e8400. Will flash to "1236" and put the e8400 back in...maybe I get lucky and it works...

Thx sooooo much for that....