PC won't start, CPU fan spins once

riniks92

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I was playing Mass Effect, and I heard sparks and the game suddenly stopped for 2 seconds and PC turned off. There were smell too. And I unplugged the source of power.

After about 10 minutes, I reconnected the power and I pressed the power button and it won't start so again I unplugged the power source .

Later, I removed case's cover and all pc's components like cable to monitor, mouse, keyboard, modem.
I plugged in a power cable and pressed the power button, the CPU fan spins for a second and nothing happens.

The case is full with dust and especially under the CPU fan.

My question is , What could cause this and what's the solution of the problem?

PC specifications:
CPU - intel Q6600
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Graphics Card - Nvidia Georce GT

More info:
PC was quite new about 9 months, true is PC was turned on every day, about 16 hours.

After a week ago I inserted a new HDD

I noticed that when I plug in a PSU power cable I hear a quiet beep in PSU, that's normal, when I press the power button the CPU fan spins for a second and after that, I can hear a bit louder beep.

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Your PSU has gone... happened to me once... to be sure tho find another PSU should have more watts then your current one and just try it... if its not that then your mobos gone...

Dafen

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Could be more than the PSU.

Try using another computer's PSU to just power motherboard and graphic card eventually, if the computer powers up, its just the PSU.
If not, you might have to buy another motherboard.

riniks92

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Yeah, I agree, It could be PSU.
PSU will be tested I will send it to an expert.

Could be more than the PSU.

Try using another computer's PSU to just power motherboard and graphic card eventually, if the computer powers up, its just the PSU.
If not, you might have to buy another motherboard.

It could. There will be a PSU test. If the PSU will be working well, then I will figure something.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Everyone knows that this stuff in nothing more than smoke and mirrors.... you have released the magical smoke from it and it will no longer work....

Really though... replace the psu and go from there .... clean out all the dust bunnies with canned air while you have it open as this IS a fire hazard...... and hope that you have not released the magical smoke from (damaged) anything else... or you will have to replace it as well. Good luck....