blumoon

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I'm quite sure my USB ports are friedbecause of my Ipod Shuffle (happened when I disconnected it). I've tried uninstalling USB device drivers and rebooting but same msg of 'your new hardware may not work properly etc....'

Wireless kb combo has been replaced by PS2...

Am using AW9D-Max mobo.

If I clear the CMOS will that do anything?

If i install a PCI USB card do I have to change settings in BIOS?

Thanks

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Well you can try turning your usb off and on in the bios,you should only reset your cmos as a last resort and if you really can't fix the problem any other way,mostly because resetting custom bios settings is a PITA.
Yes,turn off the onboard if you install a [device] specific card...
OTOH ,,if you are running xp with sp1 or better the USB is built in ,,needs no drivers..:)

blumoon

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Thanks for the input dokk2
I got the custom bios memorized (had to do so many times in the beginning) - just really wanted to know if clearing CMOS might somehow reactivate USB ports.

I read another poster elsewhere did exactly the same as me - removed the ipod shuffle and USB stopped - so I'm sort of convinced that Apple is to blame ;)
To test that theory I bought a PCI card for a few $ and installed minus drivers - works fine - XP SP3 did it all for me and now everything back to normal apart from battlescarred mobo now no longer good as new...

Havent disabled onborad USB controller yet...

TRENDING THREADS