Motherboard for Q9450

xcrow

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I am trying to build a PC with the Q9450, XFX 9800GT and 22" monitor . But i am not sure about the motherboard to use.

I have suggested to use the asus P5Q-EM or the gigabyte Ultra Durable 2.

Which one will do better with Q9450 and XFX 9800GT. Or will it be worthy to pay bit more for a better motherboard then these two.

xcrow

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Thanks for your suggestion.

I want to build a mid range gaming PC. Also i will use it for 2D graphics design, Web and software development. I believe in future more games and applications will take the advantage of quad-cores, so I am going with the Q9450.

xcrow

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Unfortunately there are not many motherboard models available in my country. Sofar i have found these motherboards: Asus P5Q-EM , Asus Rampage Formula, XFX 750i SLI, XFX 9300 and some Intel boards.

Would it be a bad idea to go with the P5Q-EM?

The P5Q-EM is more an HTPC motherboard. It's small, so it has fewer expansion slots. The price is higher because it has onboard graphics.

It would work, but it certainly would not be a first choice. The Rampage Formula would be a better choice for gaming, but it might be too high priced for you.

Chipsets I would recommend:

P45 - A good mix of features and price, usually.
X38 - Corssfire board that would perform about the same as P45. Older chipset, but if you can find it at a good price it's OK.
X48 - Deluxe crossfire board, not really faster than P45 and a lot more expensive. May have some nice features.
P43 - OK budget choice, like P45 but may have some cost-cutting differences.

P35 -Older chipset but if it is what is available and affordable, it's OK.

xcrow

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I have found that the price deference is not that big between the Q9450/Q9550 and the core i7 rig. So i am thinking to go with the i7 or Phenom II, since the Q-Series rig is not upgradeable. I want to stick with XFX 9800GT if it goes with the core i7.

Available boards are XFX X58i and Asus P6T (not deluxe) , which one will be better with core i7.