WTF? Is this even possible????

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
My biggest question shadow... is how the hell did you even find it.

I dont see how this would work.

1. This would add height and more than likely stop the mounting of any HSF
2. How does a motherboard know what you are giving it, they werent designed to support old cpus

Do you mean the Pandora battery? Cuz I have a site that shows you how to make your own. Got mine setup with CFW and now I can play SNES and GBA games on my PSP.

Anywho. Why would you want to use a S478 CPU in a 775 mobo? I mean the support would be crap, there are no dual core 478 CPUs and so on and so forth.

Now I might understand if it was a laptop 478 adaptor where you could throw a laptop CPU into a desktop but actual old 478 is just wrong.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I can already imagine the responses when this thread in necroed in 3 years when we are using 22nm 5ghz IBM 45W dodecagon-core processors on AMD 990GX motherboards.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

The end cost will be more than a faster LGA 775 CPU, not that it will work of course.

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Yeah it will work, how well it works is a different matter.

I remember seeing these when I had a P4 423 socket, you could get a 423-478 converter.

Woud be interesting as long as they find a way to get it to run pure 32bit and not emulate it because lets face it 64bit will not fully take over PCs for another 3+ years.

That or if Intel ever decided to just throw a wrench in the whole system and release their Terascale CPU. I mean 80 cores @ 2.5GHz using only 62w. Would be interesting.

And I remember when Asus released a laptop 479 to 478 convertor then THG took a Pentium M OCed it and itpounced the crap out of most desktop chips. Great idea but I mean really. Finding a older 478 Prescott is hard and the performance is crap unless you are like my fiance and play very basic games.

hell my old PC is going to waste since the CPU and GPU are about enough to run most current gen games decently.