Time for an upgrade! New GPU or new CPU?

I am going to upgrading my system this Christmas. I am thinking to either get another 8800gt and have sli, get a new power supply and a 4870X2, or sell my mobo and cpu and get the core i7. I am thinking to go the 4870x2 route, but the only problem is that I have a 590 Sli motherboard, so the sli feature would be going to waste. Or, I could get a GTX 280. Can you guys help me out on what I should get for my Christmas upgrade?

My Current Rig:
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Motherboard - Asus M2N32-SLi Deluxe Wireless Edition
Power Supply Unit - Corsair 520W CMPSU-520HX
Video Card - XFX 512Mb 8800GT Extreme Edition
Memory - 2Gb DDR2 800 Patriot PDC22G6400LLK
Operating System - Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
6 answers Last reply
More about time upgrade
  1. cant see your sig, since they changed/updated the site most everyone lost their sig
  2. i would get a new cpu personally. That 5600+ would bottleneck any of the graphics setups your thinking of. However, i wouldnt go straight ahead to an i7. get a core 2 quad and upgrade the graphics setup as well with the money you save.
  3. Either SLI your 8800GT or change that rig. (aka CPU, MB, RAM)
  4. You should wait for Phenom II and see if its any good. if not and have the $$ then get the i7 system and maybe check out the new revision of the 55nm GT200.
  5. 0mg_1ts_m3 said:
    i would get a new cpu personally. That 5600+ would bottleneck any of the graphics setups your thinking of. However, i wouldnt go straight ahead to an i7. get a core 2 quad and upgrade the graphics setup as well with the money you save.

I would do that, but the only problem is that if I wanted to do Core i7, I would have to upgrade again.
  6. I think I am going to get a GTX 260 Core 216 and get either 4Gb or 8Gb of RAM. I am either going to sell my 8800GT or use it as a PhysX card. Any good RAM recommendations?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Graphics