Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive with no mbr

Last response: in Storage
April 14, 2010 5:38:05 AM

somehow, i have two hard drives in my computer: 1.) SATA drive that windows doesn't even recognize, but it has boot files on it. it won't partition, it won't repair, reformat, or even show up under 'my computer'. 2.) an IDE drive that has windows 7 and all my files on it.

i built this machine two days ago. the SATA drive was supposed to be my main drive, but it seems faulty. i've ordered a new HD, but in the meantime, windows 7 keeps telling me this HD is about to fail and to back up my files. if this drive fails, well, i don't have any files on there to lose, except for the boot files. so is there a way i can get the computer to just boot from my IDE drive? i google-searched this for quite some time without finding any answers (despite the fact that this seems to be a fairly common question).

--also, until my new HD arrives, should i just put my computer to sleep rather than turning it off, to work around the need for boot files?

More about : hard drive mbr

a b G Storage
April 14, 2010 6:16:22 PM

Have you tried going through the control panel to admin tools and disk managment to format that drive?
!