Your question

Buildin a Hybrid Gaming and Editing Machine

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2008 8:27:32 PM

Hello everybody i am new to this forums , not for the tom's hardware website but to the community yes :) .

So anyway i love videogames A LOT (Hardcore gamer here) i don't play much console nowadays so i am sticking with the PC games , and also i am a graphic design student so i tend to use programs such as Photoshop CS3 , Adobe Premier , Sony Vegas , Maya (just learning now) but i am still no professional, just average in the editing stuff so i think i don't need to much power in that area .

SO that said i came up with the idea to build a new system mostly for the Gaming needs (love fps Crysis , Far Cry , TF2 ,HL2 ,etc...) , my old PC is kinda 2 years or more already so its getting pretty hard to play some new games , my video card its having a lot of problems , lots of sudden shut downs so i am kinda desperate to make a new system . So aside from all the PC drama i am gonna say what i came up too, and what advice do i need from you guys ;)  in building this new system.

The system i have in mind for now:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 or Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Ge force 280x gt x 1024 or 8800 gt Ge force SLI mode (the 512 MB one cause i cant find the 1024 model in common online stores)
4 GB Ram (2x 2b) (DDR2 or DDR 3 and what MHz ? not sure)

My Budget for now : 1250$

The advice i need from you is:

*Should it be wise to get ddr2 or dd3 on this times, and what speed number would be best (1600,1333,1066,etc...)?
*What kind of motherboard would be good for this system.(I have no idea of what motherboard to pick cause of the PCI Express Slots , Pins slot,etc...)?
*What general cooling system would you recommend (the PC wont be on a place with air conditioner so Ambient Temperature is 27 Cº Average) (I'm very noobish with cooling systems BTW :(  i just keep adding cheap fans and never get good temps :_( )
*What Case + PSU would be optimal (Ive seen the 280x gt x and its HUGE!) (don't understand much about PSU :( )
*And lastly what manufacturers do you think are the best out there to build this PC or it doesn't makes much of a difference?

and that about it.Oh and one more thing!, i don't upgrade that often so i think i need this PC to handle pretty smooth for at least 2 and a half years and i don't OC cause i don't know much about it and i don't want to make my PC Degrade cause i don't upgrade that often or blow it up >_<.

so anyway thanks for your valuable time, i will appreciate a lot and your advice and its always be useful.

Thanks for all ;) 

PD: Sorry for my bad English :_(

PD2: I don't need new monitor

More about : buildin hybrid gaming editing machine

November 10, 2008 12:06:26 AM

you'd be much better off getting a cheaper vid card, then upgrade sooner.
I'd suggest a 1 gig 4870 or a 512 4850

don't get DDR3 unless your CPU requires it.

PS, you can get a new vid card now, and get the rest of system later. that might give the new Intels time to mature a bit.
Related resources
November 11, 2008 3:14:15 PM

Thanks alot for the replies guys they were very usefull :)  (groo and proximon) , after reading Proximon's Guide i can make a better choice in choosing my ram (ill go for a very fast ddr2 ram cause ddr3 still not that good now nor the future :p ).

In the end ill stick with the 280x nvifia gforce , i know its super expensive but it had some super great reviews and it has the best sum of FPS of all other video cards so it would be a major Plus for the future :) , also ill go for quad now i think it will be the best way to buy a pc for the next gen of applications ;)  , for the board ill go check more about it cause the guide focused more on ATI boards (still need help in the motherboard area :X).

so for now my pc will o like this :D  :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

Ge force 280x gt x 1024

4 GB Ram 2x 2GB DDR2 dualchannel

still not sure how much psu Watts should i need for this kind of pc

same for motherboard and not sure if buying Water cooling or Fans (im not gonna OC so i suppose a good Fan would be ok)

November 11, 2008 3:32:51 PM

for a PSU the 280gtx requires 550 watts with 6 pin and 8 pin power plugs.

I'm assuming your not going to SLI it. A p45 based board is probably what you want.

as far as cooling. the stock cooler should do it for you. If you ar worried about heat, get a good case. if you want something quiet, I like the Antec P182. if your a blinky light kind of guy, the 900 used to be popular, but get whatever you like.

Have you been having heat problems with your current computer, or is it you just don't like the temperature you are seeing.

Water cooling is not for you. just put it completely out of your mind.
November 11, 2008 3:35:57 PM

Yeah we don't have a lot of SLI recommendations because the SLI chipsets are troublesome.

That's why we still push the 4870 even though the GTX 260+ (216 core) is the better card and a better buy. I just ordered a Sapphire Toxic 4870 myself.

If you are planning to SLI in the future, you'll likely need something like a Corsair 1000HX

If you are not planning to SLI, then get a P45 board and a Corsair 650TX or 750TX.
January 22, 2009 6:44:16 AM

ok i know i know this is an old post , but i had to take some time until i decided to buy the new pc and so i made a few chages:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 280 SC 1GB im not going SLI atm

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

not so sure about what motherboard suits this better ive seen some that have CF and SLI and 3 SLI ready but are very pricey like the

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if u can give me tips on this i would apretiate

then ive seen this motherboard only use the new dd3 chipset :o , i was going only for 4gb ram 2x dual channel , but ive seen its getting popular the 3 channel 3 gb and the 2 x tri chanel = 6gb , anyway in ram i would need some assistance too :x
January 22, 2009 7:03:23 AM

That board is for i7 and will not work with any Core 2 processor. Personally, I would recommend going with a cheap (bit of an oxymoron there) i7 build and then you can add onto it later when you get more money. You can build an ok i7 for under $1500, maybe under $1400 if you really hunt for deals. For editing and for your gaming purposes, and i7 would be much better, but its more expensive.
January 22, 2009 7:09:06 AM

I'm not sure if this link will work, but try it. This is a model i7 build that I put together.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

In case the link doesn't work, here are the components:

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-850-EMBA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA Quad SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

Comes to $1415.91+47.86 S&H

You could swap out that psu for a cheaper lower wattage one if you didn't plan to go SLI and maybe go with a 3gb kit of memory for now and bring the price down lower.

Just a suggestion, something I think you should seriously consider if you want this to last 2.5 years.
January 22, 2009 3:50:35 PM

edited
!