Sign in with
Your question

Air vs Liquid Cooling help?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 9, 2010 2:41:15 AM

Alright im building a rig from ibuypower ( yes i know its a bit more exspensive but i have no intentions on ordering the parts seperate, I just need this answered no suggestions for parts please :)  )

Specs:

- i7 930 ( stock clocked at 2.8ghz)
- [crossfire] hd 5870 1gb's
- 6gb ddr3 1800mhz ram
- Gigabyte x58a-ud7 mobo
- 1000 watt corsairHX power supply
- Windows 7 proffesional

Now im just wondering ... ibuypower offers a free upgrade to liquid cooling ... but will that help? I mean ... ive heard that adequate liquid cooling costs around 300$ so im kinda skeptical about getting this ... should i pay an extra 30 and get an air cooling system or would this watercooling system be acceptable?

More about : air liquid cooling

March 9, 2010 2:48:29 AM

the one they put in is probably junk, if you want good LC there is a sticky, read through it and learn then ask questions if you have any (and yeah, $300 is probably a good price for a decent LC system for teh CPU)

if not, just get a good air cooler
a c 295 K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 11:50:06 AM

^+1 if you don't want an insane OC, with a Hyper 212+, V8 or Mugen 2 is enough.
Related resources
March 9, 2010 10:08:52 PM

alright thanks saint, I MIGHT do a bit of overclocking so how much do you think the v8 would let me overclock to?
March 10, 2010 1:11:52 AM

The free one on iBuypower is good, its just like a high end air-cooler. Its the corsair enclosed one, I think maybe its called the H50.

Don't expect it to be like a full Liquid Cooler setup though. I'd use it if its a free upgrade.
March 10, 2010 1:53:41 AM

steadly2004 said:
The free one on iBuypower is good, its just like a high end air-cooler. Its the corsair enclosed one, I think maybe its called the H50.

Don't expect it to be like a full Liquid Cooler setup though. I'd use it if its a free upgrade.

like i said, crap, yeah its as good as a good air cooler, but if it leaks like some of the Asetek(i think this is how it is spelled) ones, you will not be happy
a c 295 K Overclocking
March 10, 2010 3:29:38 AM

The hyper 212+ is a very good cooler for price/performance, but if you want something better, the Mugen 2 is the way to go. Currently I'm waiting my Hyper 212+ that comes from USA (I'm from Colombia) and like you, few weeks ago I was thinking in buy a H50, and after some articles and advices (from here), I saw that the H50 and Hyper 212+ have similar performance.

The V8 is good too, but IMO is a very big cooler and the price is high if you compare this with the Hyper 212+ or the Mugen.
!