Sign in with
Your question

Power cycling on-off

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2009 10:01:06 PM

So I'm having a bit of an issue here. I just recently started a new build due to a (supposed) blown PSU that has blown out two mobos in the past 6 months. The last time, my computer just went BSOD and shut off. Upon restart, hard drive spun with nothing on the monitors. Replaced my video card (thought it might have blown) but the same problem persisted with the new one. So, I decided to just upgrade (nearly) everything. Here is my current set-up:

ASRock P45XE-WiFiN mobo (new)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
ASUS V72 92mm Sleeve CPU cooler (new)
4 gig (2 x 2gb) Patriot PC8500 (new)
MSI GeForce GTX 260 (new)
Corsair TX650W PSU (new)
10,000RPM Raptor drive

Now, when the PSU is plugged in and the computer turned on, all the fans spin (case, CPU, PSU and video card), runs for about 2 seconds, then shuts off. Then cycles on for 2 seconds, then off. Nothing shows up on any monitors. I've taken out both sticks of RAM and tried one at a time in the first slot. Is my PSU (which is brand new) DOA? Does it sound like a grounding issue?

Thanks!

More about : power cycling

a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2009 10:21:51 PM

Assemble the mobo, CPU, one stick of RAM and video card on a table or piece of cardboard. Connect power and monitor, then power on. Post your results.
February 3, 2009 10:31:07 PM

^agreed, considering the only thing that isnt new is the CPU more than likely something is DOA or shorting somewhere.
Related resources
February 3, 2009 10:50:55 PM

I'll take it all out and give it a whirl after I quadruple check on the connections. Again. I'll post the results in a bit.
February 3, 2009 11:29:58 PM

Never mind, apparently I'm a dumb-dumb! I didn't connect my secondary EPS12V to the mobo! Everything is running smooth as silk now. New CPU fan is keeping my temp at a nice 40C without issues! Thanks, y'all!
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2009 11:39:42 PM

OrnotMajestic said:
Never mind, apparently I'm a dumb-dumb! I didn't connect my secondary EPS12V to the mobo! Everything is running smooth as silk now. New CPU fan is keeping my temp at a nice 40C without issues! Thanks, y'all!

Good to hear. :) 
!