CPU temperature readings incorrect/not working

PhoenixRisinG

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Hello, I have a new laptop, a Zepto Mythos A 15 with an Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor and an Intel PM45+ chipset (don't know if that is noteworthy) and I am running Vista Ultimate x64. I read a guide for undervolting the CPU and wanted to try it out, but found out that the temperature readings of my CPU and its cores are wrong. No matter which program I use (HWMonitor, RMClock, SpeedFan,...), the temperatures are stuck and don't change whatsoever, even when I stress the CPU 100%. I believe the programs read the temperatures right after booting and are stuck then, because everytime I reboot, the temperatures vary by 1 or 2 degrees C. The readings of ACPI, GPU and HDD are working properly and seem to be correct, but not the CPU. What could be wrong here? I am also using the correct x64 versions of the respectrive applications and it is not an x64 issue - the same problem appears while running Windows 7 Beta x86. I haven't tried out XP, but I am certainly not going to install yet another OS as this should be perfectly possible with Vista.
Anyone got any ideas what's wrong here?

festerovic

Distinguished
Those programs you mention read the data from a set of chips on the motherboard. Perhaps the board uses chips that are not recognized by the programs. I can't offer a different program to use, although Core temp has always worked for me (but I don't have the same model laptop as you obviously).

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
you do not need programs for temp

what you do is:

turn down the voltage and run stablity tests

keep turning it down until the system will not boot then turn it up
then keep running tests until they crash
then turn up the voltage slightly
run the stablity test until it does not crash at all by raising the voltage

there you go!
temps are the temps - really not that important

lowest possbile voltage saves juice and lowers the temps - find the right voltage.

this is the opposite of an oc, who turns up the voltage for oc stablity but the same idea