Random high temps?

anime

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I was able to to overclock my CPU to a stable 4.4ghz and kept the temperature in a 40 Celsius temperature range. I wanted to see if I could get a stable higher overclock I put the voltage at 1.5 (cpu voltage) I read that other people were running it at 1.5v so I thought I should be fine. After a couple of failed reboots I switched back down to my previous settings but now I get 25 Celsius higher getting (now in the 70 Celsius range). Did I permanently damage something. I reset the bios by taking the battery out. Is there a jumper you are suppose to move when you take the battery out when resetting the bios?
I put the settings back to default and it was 60 Celsius at idle where as before at stock I could get a 32 Celsius temp at idle :eek:

Any insight to this problem would very appreciated.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
40C seems very low for a 4.4GHz overclock. The temperatures you are seeing now are much closer to what i would expect to see. Not sure why you were seeing the lower temps earlier. What are you using for cooling?

anime

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

corsair h50 with a fan on there pushing about 130 cfm of air

anime

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I figured out all my problems you are going to hit the floor laughing when you hear this. There is a program called Setti@home (I have no idea what it is, it does calculations or something so for other people) but any ways I started up my computer I was looking at the temps I saw it for a split second at 40 C and then jump to 78 and than to 60. I was like I wonder how much of the cpu is being used. I look at the cpu load ... it's at 100% !!!!!! look at the apps running Setti@home has 20 different aplications running in the back ground. grrrr. I am so happy I know what was going on now.