Hi there,

I'm putting together a new system, specs as follows

Intel Core2quad Q6600
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
2x Gskill DDR2 1066 1GB PC2-8500
PNY GeForce 7300GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
WD 320MB SATA

With everything plugged in, including the ATX 12V power, nothing happens when I press the power button, no fans, nothing. If I unplug the ATX12V power, and just leave everything else, it powers on, but CPU fan does not spin and there is no video, it doesn't boot. The CPU fans moves a little bit when the power is turned on and also when it is turned off like its wanting to spin, but it doesn't ever fire up completely. The computer also doesn't beep, giving me no clues.

I've tried:

reseating all the components including processor and every plug
shorting the CMOS
checking for a short by putting the foam and EDS bag under the mobo.

I'm thinking that maybe the power supply is insufficient, it is 500W, but the case was really cheap so maybe the power supply sucks. What also reinforces this theory for me is that even the case lights, which just directly to power supply, don't turn on when the ATX 12V is plugged in.

The MOBO was an open box item from Newegg, so maybe it's bad.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Stuart

The power supply sucks for sure, but I don't know if that's your problem or not.

If you had both the 24-pin and the 4-pin power connected to the MB, and the CPU fan failed to spin up, that's certainly a sign that the PSU or MB are bad.

We would have nixxed the PSU and MB decisions had you brought the list to us first ;)

stulaw

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I chose the motherboard because I'm actually building an osx86 Mac OSX system, not a windows one, and that happens to be a fairly compatable motherboard for the osx86 build i'm looking to have. I bought the case because I'm broke :). Would buying a new power supply be the next step? Is there any other trouble shooting I can do? Should I return the motherboard?

Stuart

Thanks for the quick response!

I would start with the MB, and get a new PSU ASAP :p

You could connect a small speaker to the speaker header on the board, usually located with the other case connections. If the board was producing a beep code at start up that would help... but I suspect it is not.

stulaw

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
The speaker is plugged in and not making any noise. How much wattage do you think I need if I have the above components plus an additional hard drive and 2 dvd drives?

It's not about wattage. It's about quality. I'm going to just quote myself here, from:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257075-31-what-parts-choose

Power supplies
This is the most overlooked part of a computer build and the most important.
A computer power supply does far more than you think. It has to communicate with your motherboard to coordinate power needs. It has to adjust to varying
power demands, all the while maintaining stable power in exactly the right amount. It has to do this in a range of temperaturers and over a long period
of time.

A cheap power supply can fail spectaculary taking your entire computer with it. Just don't buy ANY PSU without consulting the experts.

Other features to look for in a PSU:
-Efficiency. This one is getting to be important, especially if you have to pay your own power bills. An 80% efficient PSU that needs to supply 400W
will pull 500W at the wall. Also, the more efficient a PSU is, the cooler it runs. These PSUs generally have an "80 plus certification".
-Active PFC. An active PFC power supply is generally a good indicator of quality, although not complete. Active PFC units will have no input voltage selection switch, because they sense the input voltage and adjust automatically.
-Cable types and length.
-Heat generated. Tied directly into quality and efficiency though, so it takes care of itself.
-Noise generated.

Generally, you and I can't say what a good power supply is. We do not have the knowledge or equipment to test PSUs properly. Most of the reviews written
are done by people who do not have the knowledge or equipment to do it right. There are a very few places where you can get good reviews of computer
power supplies.

JonnyGuru
HardOCP

If you still want to learn more about PSUs, you should start here.

I will say this about power supplies. If you are like many of us and will keep the same case for a while, don't buy your PSU to last a year. Buy one
that will last 5-6 years, through about 3 builds.
--------------

You don't need anything huge for that build. Here are a few picks:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Even though I agree with the previous comments on the power supply, if he didn't check the switch position for the input power; would that cause his problem.

just a thought

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
hehe i just want to point out the fact that I have been building computers for roughly 2 years now however my first build was a cheep barebone from TD and i had it all together go to flip the power on and nothing i RMA the MoBo and the CPU to wait 6weeks to put it back together for the same thing to happen...i was wondering what on gods green earth did i do to deserve this..then as i look into the heavens for an answer, it hits me i pushed the back of the PSU up to 225 or something like that, and tada lights camera action from there on =P just a fun little story from my first attempt at building a system =P