Intel x6800 core duo extreme cpu
2 gigs corsair dominator 1066 with cooling fan
cooler master water cooler
2x XFX nvidia 8800gts in sli
150 gig wd raptor
320 gig wd hd
680 watt beast power ps
raidmax mid tower

Now for my issue, This new comp I want to build will not be for heavy gaming, maybe some lite gaming, but it will be more for things like Quick books pro, burning dvd's and misc.

For my birthday I got 2 evga 8600 gts cards and 4 gigs of ocz pc2 6400 ram SLI ready with 4-4-4@2.1v timing
Now that I have these items free of charge I think I am stuck taking only one path to make the most of what has been given to me. It would appear that a nvidia chipset mobo would benefit me the most because I could use both 8600gts in SLI and since the memory is sli ready I can use the SLI memory feature in the bios.
From what I have been reading here it seems that the Intel mobo chipsets are now better then Nvidia chipsets. When I bought my gaming rig the Nvidia 680I was the way to.
DO I take the Nvivida chipset route and use the 780I or the 680I? If I dont I will have now use for the 2nd 8600gts, I could still use the memory tho.

Next The cpu, i have narrowed it down to 2 choices the Intel Q6600 or the E8500, leaning towards the e8500, any suggestions?

Reading the "what parts to choose" made me realize that the case is not that important as long as you have good cooling, I heard allot of people like the COOLER MASTER RC-690, so I might do that one, ideas?

Now the PS, seems like allot to choose from, again from reading "what parts to choose" I want 80+ efficiency and active pfc what do you think of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153039

So what do is the question?

Since it appears most of you live/eat and breath comp builds, Im confident that you guys will have some honest words of wisdom for me,

Tx in advance for your suggestions and why you think a certain way

Ken

I'm not a big fan of Thermaltake.

Seasonic is making a 600W modular at a good price, which would be enough, if you feel you need modular.

You can get an Antec 300 bundled with a NEO 650 for cheap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&SubCategory=7&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1
Although if you prefer the CM case that's cool too :)

The thing is modular PSUs are either overpriced or poor quality in that range. The really good PSUs like the Corsair 750TX are not modular.

You can get a really good modular, such as the Antec Signature 650, but it's very pricey.

Pretty tough call on this. Possibly you should save some money with a P43 board and a 500W PSU, then channel the cash into a higher end quad core.

Pass the other 8600GT along to a friend ;)

slomo4sho

Distinguished

I am trying to figure out what you would gain by upgrading your current build. You said it yourself that the current setup is still preforming to your gaming needs.

Based on what you have stated, I would recommend waiting. Your system seems to do all that you need it to do for the time being so there really isn't any real incentive to invest more money into the rig.

Yeah that was my first reaction as well. Have to look pretty carefully before you realize that the build is secondary and really has nothing to do with his initial list.

The whole thing should read, "Hey I got some parts given to me and need to build a second computer. I already have a gaming rig that works for me."

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Sorry about the confusion, My fault.
I have the above mentioned rig for gaming and I am building a new comp to replace my older dell multipurpose that my wife uses.

So you think I should toss the sli idea as well as taking advantage of the SLI Ready memory?

for the PS, modular/ no modular dont care about, I just want a good quality 80+, active, well built

Ken

SLI memory is such a joke. It's really a slap in the face... there is no such thing. It's just memory.

This week only, I'm selling special lawn mowing underwear, certified for wearing while you mow the lawn. Only $10.99 for a set of 3. Act now.

But I digress :)

Yep get an inexpensive P43 or P45 board, put one of the 8600GTs on it.
Here's a very nice PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

If you have enough left over get a quad core CPU... maybe even a Q9550.