Trouble enabling AHCI on intel ssd! help

gclambert

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I have tried countless times to switch my intel ssd from the standard IDE controller to the AHCI controller by modifying the registry and then changing it in bios, however, once i change it in bios, i get a message "FreeDOS running FATkernal GO! Press any key to boot from floppy or wait 5 seconds, Press H to boot from harddrive or wait 5 seconds"

Has anyone experienced this before? What am i doing wrong?

I have a supermicro motherboard with a 5520 chipset. I am using a x25m g2 80gig Intel ssd.

Please help a bro out!

Caleb

sub mesa

Distinguished
Are you sure the boot sequence is correct? Sure you're not booting from a CD/DVD instead? Why should you see a FreeDOS message if you only run Windows? Can you perhaps make a photo with a digicam and upload it somewhere?

Could you specify the exact Supermicro motherboard type?

This information may be required to diagnose your issue; probably something is preventing AHCI from working correctly; usually it just works for OS' that support it.

Are you also booting from the SSD? What other HDDs are in the system?

gclambert

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I have a X8DAI supermicro motherboard. I believe the boot could be the cause, let me go and switch it around and try again.

Also, i am having another weird issue. The command "Open containing folder" is no responsive. It will not work with firefox, or utorrent. Its quite frustrating. Could someone tell me what is going on with that, or point me in the right direction of where to ask this?

Caleb

gclambert

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I DID IT! Thanks submesa for the boot order tip. I cant believe i didnt catch that earlier.

I also fixed the issue with the "open containing folder" command. I had accidentally made two "my documents" folders on my HDD drive, i guess it happened when i was moving my user folders over from the ssd. Anyway, i found the correct my documents folder and kept it, and deleted this extra one that i guess was causing some type of error. Now i can use the command with no trouble.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.