Optimal Power Supply Watts

SummerBreeze

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Hi! What would be the optimal power supply wattage for an HP PC with the following specs? Anything else that needs to be worried about along those lines (cooling)? I ordered the following PC, but plan on proactively having the 460watt power supply it comes with replaced (so that the hard drive motor, etc doesn't eventually get worn down under the strain of too little power). I'd rather err on the side of too much rather than just enough. BTW, my hardware knowledge is pretty limited so please take that into account in your response. Thanks for your help! Much Appreciated!!

HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX PC
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9550 [2.83GHz]
- 8GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM [4x2048]
- 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
- 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
- Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R )
- Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
- 16x max. DVD-ROM
- 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, audio
- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
- Logitech X-230 speakers (2.1)
- HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse
- HP W1907 19in Wide flat panel disply

+1 for what theAnimal said. With just one video card you'll be fine.

Corsair and PC Power&Cooling are both excellent brands with a reputation for high quality power supplies that are very reliable. They both earn consistently high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. The veteran posters here often recommend them.

Does the HP W1907 monitor come with the HP system? If you're getting a 4850 video card, then you might want to consider a larger flat panel display. The 4850 is quite capable of higher resolutions.

If all of that is original equipment, the computer was tested and burnt in with that power supply. In all likelyhood, you will not be able to OC the system, so as long as the vents are clear, you shouldn't have any thermal problems either.