Sign in with
Your question

Graph CPU temp in the background?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 9, 2010 9:44:02 AM

I hope someone here can put me onto a program that will run in the background and create a graph of CPU temp versus time of day continuously over time (an hour, maybe). I want to be able to play Crysis for a while, or stress the CPU some other way, and then quit and look at what happened to the temperature. I don't want to have to keep one eye on it like a chameleon while it's happening. It wouldn't have to actually make a graph; tabular form would be OK, too.
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 10:55:49 AM

Hi.

You can use GPU-Z
March 9, 2010 2:40:42 PM

Ummm....hi. Why would I use GPU-Z for CPU temperature?
Related resources
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 2:46:22 PM

^Ohhh, wrong key. CPU-Z, Hardware monitor, Everest are good options for temp monitor.
March 9, 2010 9:41:26 PM

Ah. Thanks.
March 10, 2010 12:19:14 AM

Coretemp with the grapher is also good if you have a supported cpu.
March 10, 2010 9:35:13 AM

math1337 said:
Coretemp with the grapher is also good if you have a supported cpu.

Thanks. I've downloaded it, and it's pretty good, except it doesn't show time of day in the x-axis, so I can't precisely correlate events with temperature changes, and it is awfully hard to read once a reading moves away from the side. Also, it only shows temp for core 0 of my quad Phenom, but I can live with that.

What would be great is something that graphs all the temps available including the GPU, pace SAINT19.
March 10, 2010 10:03:13 AM

saint19 said:
^Ohhh, wrong key. CPU-Z, Hardware monitor, Everest are good options for temp monitor.

CPU-Z doesn't show temperature at all. CPUID Hardware Monitor doesn't make a graph. And I'm afraid to download Everest. I google on "everest monitor", and I get a bazillion hits on some scary-looking sites (Psssst! Over here. Hey, pal, you wanna get some free software? Trust me....). Who makes it?
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
March 10, 2010 12:26:35 PM

Hi again, maybe THIS can help you.
March 10, 2010 6:06:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice. It turns out that a program I already had, SpeedFan, did pretty much what I wanted once I figured out how to use it. I can't say how accurate the temperatures are, because the number on the "Readings" tab was ten degrees Celsius higher than the graphed number. But the SpeedFan GPU graph matched RivaTuner's measurement.

The reason I started looking at temperatures is that I just now installed a new CPU cooler, a Zalman CNPS9700 LED. (I think I'm in love. The only way it could look any better would be to have Miranda Kerr near it. It looks like the main heat exchanger for the Infinite Improbability Drive.) According to SpeedFan, it dropped my idle temp from 26 to 18. I had been running the stock AMD cooler that came with the Phenom 9950BE. With the old cooler, CoreDamage drove the temp up to 57. The Zalman holds it at 38. Interestingly, the tested temps were all two degrees cooler with the side off the case.

The Zalman has a 3-pin fan plug, which means you get no mobo control (remind me to disable that in BIOS). It comes with its own little doodad with a knob on it and a long cable to adjust the fan manually. You can mount the little controller inside or out. I don't like that very much, because being who I am, I have to crank it to full and leave it there. The fan is pretty quiet, though.

There's the report I thought I owed y'all for your kindness. I paid about $2.50 per degree Celsius at max CPU usage. I think it was worth it.
April 3, 2010 6:39:44 PM

Coretemp does it for me! Just dld it and it's one beautiful pgm. Get the plugin for graphing too. :hello: 
!