Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the SSD really necessary?

Last response: in Storage
April 14, 2010 9:54:44 AM

Hello,

I have made up my choice and wanted to get the Intel X-25M 80GB SSD but now I'm wondering if it even is worth it. I always leave my computer on 24/7 and have read reviews which are good on this SSD. I also see very bad SSD reviews, like the SSD being having a shorter lifespan than the HDD. Can anyone help me decide on this issue?

Thanks.

More about : ssd

April 14, 2010 10:39:53 AM

An SSD like this one is an expensive toy - in 3 years, when the warranty is up, it will cost merely a fraction of what you will pay for it today. Definitely an irresponsible purchase.

I own that exact model - it is one of the fastest on the market btw, and I LOVE it! Shorter lifespan? Maybe it will slow down over time, because bits will get lost. Consider this: at half speed it still outperforms ANY hardrive you can buy.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 14, 2010 11:05:11 AM

Quote:
An SSD like this one is an expensive toy - in 3 years, when the warranty is up, it will cost merely a fraction of what you will pay for it today. Definitely an irresponsible purchase.

That would apply more to a videocard than to an SSD. Even an old SSD is still a great boot disk; the access times are very low even on shitty SSDs. So i would think that you get at least 10 years of economical use out of the SSD. Not that it would stay as your primary boot/system disk for that long, but after 6 years it might still do very well as system disk in another computer in your household.

Looking at the performance-per-money, the SSD does quite well, delivering very high performance increases where other areas only see modest gains.

boon_pek, if you pick a good SSD you shouldn't be worried about writing. The Intel SSD is a good SSD. Make sure to align the SSD, installing Windows Vista or 7 freshly to the SSD. Using it with Windows XP will limit the lifespan, due to it being 'unaligned'.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 11:12:41 AM

Sorry for late reply. So the SSD I got is good, right and I should be able to expect it to last for more than 6 years. Thanks.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
April 14, 2010 12:08:01 PM

Yes, the Intel SSD is one of the best SSDs you can buy right now, despite it having a "low" 75MB/s write speed; its random I/O speeds are very high. That's what you'll be needing most for the purpose of a system disk.
m
l

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
April 14, 2010 3:04:57 PM

Warrenty periods are not always a good indicator of how long a device will last.

In many cases the warrenty period is set by cost factors vs "real" expected life.
One of the cost is stock pilling spare parts and these spare parts sitting on a shelf increases cost and reduce profits ( the cost of the part plus cost of storage space and the cost of maintaining repair capibilities).

SSD are a good example with warrenties going anywheres from 3 to 10 years. The patriot torqx has a "Lifetime" warrent. Somehow I dought it would outlive the "3 yr warrenty" of the Intel M-G2

You will have NO failure do to mechanical problems, but other issues are simular such as a "El CheapO" PSU that fails sending a spike down the +5V Line (Dont think the SSDs use the +12V line). Also equal is the problem of corruptin "sector 0" the Drive info area.

As to cost vs performance, I do not regret buying an 80 Gig Intel G2 for desktop and a 128 Gig Patriot torqx for my laptop. The biggest gain is boot time (not a big issue for a 24/7 system) and program load times for the reasons stated by sub mesa. SO ENJOY
April 14, 2010 3:09:20 PM

Thanks! I have a good power supply (Corsair TX 850W) so I think I should manage fine.
m
l
April 14, 2010 3:10:15 PM

Best answer selected by boon_pek.
m
l
!