Sign in with
Your question

Jittery frame rate playing NFS Undercover

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2008 7:27:05 AM

Hi, I need some expert advice/opinions on a problem I'm having when playing NFS Undercover.

Here are my basic rig specs:-
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R Mobo
Core 2 Duo 8200
2 Gigs OCZ PC6400 mem
POV 8800 GTS 640Mb

This is my recent score in 3DMark

SM2 - 4787
SM3 - 4770
CPU - 2400
3DMark - 10400
Which all seem pretty reasonable to me

I recently bought NFS Undercover but as soon as any action starts, my FPS drops like a stone and I get jittery playback and even brief freezing. It's driving me nuts! This happens even on default game graphic settings.

I thought I had a fairly good rig but now I'm wondering if I need to upgrade some part or maybe go SLI.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice here please!

Thanks,

Ross
December 5, 2008 9:15:29 AM

Renegade2008 said:
Hi, I need some expert advice/opinions on a problem I'm having when playing NFS Undercover.

Here are my basic rig specs:-
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R Mobo
Core 2 Duo 8200
2 Gigs OCZ PC6400 mem
POV 8800 GTS 640Mb

This is my recent score in 3DMark

SM2 - 4787
SM3 - 4770
CPU - 2400
3DMark - 10400
Which all seem pretty reasonable to me

I recently bought NFS Undercover but as soon as any action starts, my FPS drops like a stone and I get jittery playback and even brief freezing. It's driving me nuts! This happens even on default game graphic settings.

You’re such as comedian…………… :heink: 

A game like Undercover shouldn’t need SLI’ed GTS’s to run smoothly. Firstly drop all the graphics settings down to the lowest settings and see if you still get any freezing or skipping. If you do then it looks like your going to have to what for the issues to be patched out via a driver or game update. Obviously if the issue goes away when it’s running at the lowest settings start to crank up the settings gradually.
December 5, 2008 9:16:40 AM

Your system is ok, the problem is in NFS. This game uses world's worst engine. The game itself is tottal ****. I run it on my HD4870 on 1680x1050 and it barely reaches 30 fps(normaly ~15fps)! AND you get worst graphics in the world. I haven't seen such awful graphics since 1999. If I were you I would delete the game immediately, and not bother upgrading.

P.S. I'm a NFS fan!
Related resources
December 5, 2008 9:21:35 AM

This game is pure CR@P, I mean I've been a need for speed fan since the series started. The last game I ever liked and played that they made was need for speed underground 2 (and most wanted sort of, but I got bored near the middle).

Anyways jumping to the graphics, the game doesn't run well on either of my computers. It does a constant 30 fps on my laptop maxed out, but that doesn't mean that the screen doesn't tear. I mean even though the numbers show 30, the screen tears, slow down, weird camera bugs, heavy freezing periods. This has got to be their worst engine yet. I thought Prostreet would've took the cake, but this actually turned out to be uglier looking engine than prostreet and a lot worse running.
December 5, 2008 10:37:21 AM

Ok, thanks guys for the responses which have put my mind at rest over my hardware and I won't waste any money upgrading when I don't need to.

Much appreciated.
December 9, 2008 2:02:25 PM

Try this ! lower down your CPU speed from the bios setup. I am using pentium D 3.0GHZ, I set the cpu speed at 2.2ghz, sofar NFS undercover is runing fine without any frame rate issue. Average frame rate is above 45 fps (bcoz my graphics card 7300GT is not that great) at 1024 x 768
AA = 2X or of
world level of details =high
shadows=off
world Fx = low
Car level of details = high
Car Fx = medium
Car damage =of
smoke =of
have fun
December 9, 2008 2:41:29 PM

hahaha.the game needs a proper crack.and the visuals are very **** looking
December 9, 2008 8:23:02 PM

Time_Trap said:
Try this ! lower down your CPU speed from the bios setup. I am using pentium D 3.0GHZ, ...

Hah, this is the first time I ever heard that lowering CPU clock can lead to fps increase ! :pt1cable:  :lol:  :ouch: 
December 10, 2008 4:04:53 AM

yonef said:
Hah, this is the first time I ever heard that lowering CPU clock can lead to fps increase ! :pt1cable:  :lol:  :ouch: 

hahahaha.man.......... :cry:  :heink:  :pfff:  :non:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
!