Windows XP starts then restarts ?

Ben101

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
So when i turn on my computer it starts up fine, gets to the desktop no problem but after about 15 seconds it restarts itself... I try to press f8 when its starting up to go in safe mode but when i press f8 it goes to a boot menu. Is that were im supposed to go or should i be doing something else. ?

There are a couple viruses that do this, there is also a bug in some versions of McAfee antivirus that are known to cause this too.
Do you have McAfee antivirus?
If you have the XP installation disk CD, you can probably save yourself. If you do not have that little gem, there are a couple of alternatives that usually work...

In ANY case, try starting the computer in safe mode with networking

If it WILL start in safe mode, backup your personal files and photos to a thumb drive, DVD, etc...even an online backup service, if nothing else functions.
without waiting, and without trying anything else FIRST.

Then, in safe mode update your anti virus and scan entire computer with the antivirus...
Or install a professional antivirus, activate it, update it, scan entire computer...
Or install what has been suggested, Malware Bytes, activate, update, scan entire computer....

All scans failed? Safe mode failed? Proceed with a repair install.

You DO have the XP disk:
Repair install does not erase your personal files, but does set the OS back to default. Follow the instructions posted in this forum, sixth post from the top.

Alternative: remove the hard drive, install it as a second drive on a working computer, use the working computer to back up the files from the damaged drive to a CD, thumb drive etc....

Alternative: Have a computer tech do any of the above for you.

When all else fails, including the repair install, after retrieving and backing up your personal files, reformat the drive, install a fresh operating system.