Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Outlook Express Problems = Cant delete

Last response: in Windows XP
April 13, 2011 4:46:12 PM

Outlook Express problem that just arose: Can't delete files w/LARGE attachments that I try to send. Sent a file to myself and a couple BCCs and it resent itself 5x until I noticed and deleted it from my Outbox. Now I can't delete my own 5 copies in my inbox. --- I restarted OE a couple of times and it didn't help, also rebooted computer. No help. Could this be because of one of the self-loading Windoze updates?

Two days ago I attempted to send an email to a client with a large graphic file attached and it timed out repeatedly without sending so I tried to delete it. I could not. I then successfully deleted the attachment then the email.

Have Trend Micro Internet Security subscription. Also RegistryBooster.

Two questions about OE: 1. Will uninstalling then reinstalling preserve the existing messages (and perhaps fix the problem)? and 2. Where to get OE6 so I can reinstall it?

If I go to Thunderbird instead, how can I disable OE to preserve my messages but have TB receive the messages from my AOL & ISP's email accounts? ?

Can I copy all my messages (I have thousands of them) to TB or do I just preserve OE and use it to archive the messages I have there?

April 13, 2011 7:39:50 PM

just click and drag the massage from the Outbox to the Draft folder and you should be able to delete the massage
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:46:23 PM

I successfully dragged them to the draft folder, but could not delete them from there. I can't delete the attachment 1st, like it worked with the XL graphic file I deleted. .

At least for now they are out of sight.

Any more suggestions? :p 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 13, 2011 7:52:47 PM

close outlook express and reopen it.

the email should be able to be deleted without deleting the attachments first.

Highlight the email and try SHIFT+DEL this should delete the email directly without going to the Trash folder
April 13, 2011 8:09:59 PM

Bingo. That worked. Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

Since this is the 2nd x in a week that this has happened, together with the fact that that email sent itself 5x and would have continued to send it until I noticed, any idea what I can do to keep that from happening again?

And my other questions still apply --
Quote:

Two questions about OE: 1. Will uninstalling then reinstalling preserve the existing messages (and perhaps fix the problem)? and 2. Where to get OE6 so I can reinstall it?

If I go to Thunderbird instead, how can I disable OE to preserve my messages but have TB receive the messages from my AOL & ISP's email accounts? ?

Can I copy all my messages (I have thousands of them) to TB or do I just preserve OE and use it to archive the messages I have there?

m
l
April 13, 2011 9:05:08 PM

Not sure if you can uninstall OE6, it should be part of XP CD.

to disable OE just make TB your primary mail program.

when installing TB you should get an option to transfer, not sure if accounts and emails or only email, from OE to TB

also TB should allow you to import email and their folders from OE after TB is already installed.
m
l
April 13, 2011 11:40:13 PM

It can be removed from the Add/Remove Windows Components from Control Panel. However, you will need the XP CD to install it again.
m
l
April 13, 2011 11:46:58 PM

Thanks, Em.

Thanks to pre-loaded OS I have no XP CDs, only "recovery" CDs. Thanks, Compaq. Not.
m
l
April 24, 2011 12:54:39 AM

Anyone know where I can find an XP compatible version of Outlook V. 6? Whether if I uninstall it and re-install whether I lose all my email folders?
m
l
April 24, 2011 1:30:31 PM

Thanks!

OK. Still need more clues. Located the original OE program. No data there except for the address book. Where does OE put OE data files-- what are the file names/extensions, so I can do a search?

Edited to add that when my HD crashed last year that the data was rescued but I know not where some of the files were rearranged, if they were rearranged.
m
l
April 24, 2011 5:36:30 PM

try searching for the word inbox

this should reveal the location of your mail, it is a sub-folder in your personal folder.
m
l
April 24, 2011 6:35:41 PM

The file extensions are .dbx. The files are usually found in Documents and Settings\AccountName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Identities\BunchofRandomCharacters\Outlook Express.
m
l
April 24, 2011 9:45:29 PM

I was hoping for another answer, zoron. (OE had the same suggestion in their help facility) I have searched with *.dbx on my entire computer. Multiple x. And only come up with some acrobat files. It's driving me nuts. :cry:  :fou: 
m
l
April 24, 2011 10:21:31 PM

You'll have to search hidden folders, as the Local Settings folder is hidden. Better yet, go to Folder Options and make sure the "Show Hidden Items" box is checked. Then you can manually navigate to the folder.
m
l
April 25, 2011 12:02:57 PM

Thank you for your patience, Z.

I re-read your earlier post and found the folder/files. Now I can re-install without fear.

To all who contributed, I truly appreciate your generosity in sharing your time, knowledge and patience.
m
l
May 5, 2011 12:11:22 AM

Best answer selected by spydie.
m
l
!