Am I crazy to buy non-QVL RAM?

rozsand

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I'm planning on buying a GA-MA790XT-UD4P with an AMD Phenom II X3 720. The QVL list is very short, incomplete, and consists of mostly poor latency & overpriced RAM.

Am I crazy to buy something like this: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail? It's dirt cheap, has good timings, and gets great reviews, but it's not on the QVL list.

I'm also a little concerned that it's described as being "Designed specifically for the Intel X58 chipset / Core i7," which I don't have.

If this choice won't work, what would you recommend?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Didn't know that AMD supports triple channel,,,,anyway,, when buying off the QVL you need to know the requirements of the selected mobo ,the OEM cannot possibly test all the ram available the QVL is just a guide,case in point I am running Crucial Ballistics on my Asus M2N-E which is not on the QVL..
I am just wondering if installing 3 sticks of ram would not screw up the dual channel output,which works on the 2x2 principle,kindly let us know what happens when and if you do so.. :)