Sign in with
Your question

Repair missing disk operating system

Last response: in Windows XP
April 13, 2011 5:11:04 PM

I have two hard drives that have been wiped and can't use them again as the disk operating system is gone. How can it be replaced?

More about : repair missing disk operating system

April 13, 2011 5:26:35 PM

You will have to re-install the OS
m
l
April 13, 2011 6:40:14 PM

There is no chance of that as the computer won't boot up. It just comes to a message saying "missing oprtating system"
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2011 6:46:28 PM

You need an XP CD to reinstall from scratch. If money is a problem, consider using Linux, many of which builds are free to download, burn to CD and use either from the CD or install on to one of your hard disks.

There's plenty of advice to be found in the Linux sub-Forum here at Tom's.
m
l
April 13, 2011 6:47:11 PM

I take that to mean that the embedded operating system on the drive is missing.
Without that the drive is not accessible to load the computer operating system.
I need to repair the drive
The drives are a new 1tb drive and a used 500mb drive
m
l
April 13, 2011 6:53:51 PM

Saga Lout said:

You need an XP CD to reinstall from scratch. If money is a problem, consider using Linux, many of which builds are free to download, burn to CD and use either from the CD or install on to one of your hard disks.

There's plenty of advice to be found in the Linux sub-Forum here at Tom's.

I have been using Ubuntu for years but the live disk won't boot the computer .
in the bios I am booting from the correct device but still get "missing operating system"
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:10:34 PM

I just disconnected both hard drives and then I can boot from the Ubuntu disc but after re-hooking the one drive it still won't load on it
m
l
April 14, 2011 6:25:17 PM

To boot from a disc you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot device priority to your CD drive.
m
l
April 14, 2011 6:39:45 PM

kilo_17 said:
To boot from a disc you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot device priority to your CD drive.

I did that
then I went back into BIOS to make sure it was set to boot from the CD drive--It was, but in order to get it to do it I had to unplug the drives.
My original question is: Is there a way to refresh the original software that comes already installed on a hard drive from the factory so the computer will recognise it?
Maybe I wasn't too clear on that.
m
l
April 15, 2011 2:19:29 AM

How many optical drives do you have? If you have more than one, then try placing the disc in the other drive and booting... or at least make sure you have it set to boot from the correct the optical drive. If you want to restore the original software, then you need the recovery media for that computer.
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:21:22 AM

The boot information changes after the third reboot. Then it will do what I instructed it to do. It will now boot up on the disc but the hard drive is still not seen by the computer so I can load the system on it. I had a Samsung drive that acted like this a couple years ago and I sent it back to Samsung support and they "refurbished"it and it worked as expected when I got it back.
m
l
April 15, 2011 6:37:23 AM

I'm concerned that those two 1Tb disks might be linked in a RAID array, because removing only one didn't make the system operate properly. If that's so, take great care or you'll lose everything. Now you've made the CD ROM bootable, can Ubuntu boot with both hard disks in place? If Windows can't mount one or other hard disk, Ubuntu probaly can. Also, in try to reinstall Windows, you'll fall over for lack of SATA drivers unles syou're using a slipstreamed SP3 CD.

m
l
!