I7-930 at 4.2 boots, runs windows, crashes on stressing

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hi all, any help appreciated-

We have a new i7-930 that, overclocked, will boot just fine at 4.2ghz (200x21), without messing with any other numbers/settings.

Unfortunately, when we do a test render with 3DSMax, it freezes within 10-20 seconds, then reboots. We have not tried other stress tests, but would assume they would have the same result.

Any suggestions from veteran overclockers out there? This is on a DFI-Lanparty JR x58-t3h6 board, so we should have a good start via the board, it's just that there are almost too many options.

Thanks!

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The cpu multiplier is it 20x or 21x in windows (what does cpu-z say)? Meaning are you setting the 21x in BIOS with turbo on? In my gigabyte BIOS it is called "Intel turbo boost tech" when enabled it adds +1x to the cpu multiplier. If you have turbo on then you should start by setting your multiplier to 20x in the BIOS otherwise you are running with 22x multiplier in windows (rather than 21x) which tends to be less stable.

Regarding all the other options, you are right a ton of things to look at and adjust. It would help if you posted all your settings in your BIOS so we can see what you've got. Likely some could be adjusted +/- a little. Also we need to know your hardware, post links to your motherboard, tower, ram, CPU cooler (is it stock cooler or something you've purchased), and power source. Finally, what are your temps when running the stress test? Use core temp or something to give you tracked temperatures in windows.

You should also check out a couple great guides posted by Overshocked here at Tom's.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide
http://www.tinyurl.com/yh4ymhb

If you read thru those a couple times it will give you a big head start.

Even with all that info its going to be hard for anyone here to give you the golden settings to overclock stable. You've heard it before probably, all hardware is not equal. So settings for me may not work as stable for you even if we have the same hardware. This ultimately means you can use advice here as a guideline but you may find that you will have to do a lot of adjustments to make it work for you.

Have you reached a lesser clock with stable results in stress tests like 3.6, 3.8, or 4.0ghz?

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks for the answer-

Here are the specific parts:

Case: Antec 2480
Mobo: DFI Lanparty JR X58-T3H6
CPU: i7-930
Cooler: Stock Intel
RAM: Gkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-2N

I have turned Turbo Mode off, per other articles, and set the RAM timings to 9-9-9-24-2N and 1.5V as it should be (according to G.Skill specs)

I have tried 190 to 205, and in that range, only 200 will even post. Seems I've hit a sweet spot, but can't quite take advantage of it.

It does not give a warning beep for temps, and shows in the BIOS a variety of temps- 73 for "Core temp", then 52 for the "CORE temp". I would be surprised if the stock cooler is managing to cool this thing properly at 4.2ghz and 1.35volts on the CPU, but it does not seem to get too hot?

There really are almost too many options on this board, for me. I'm sure it's a good thing in the long run, but currently confusing.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I think 4trees pretty much covered it. Read up some more before you continue and I would definately go with lower overclocks to start. Trying a 1.4 Ghz overclock on the first shot is a bit much IMO. Just because it will post doesn't mean you will get a stable overclock with it.

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I would strongly encourage you to get an aftermarket cooler and not use the intel stock cooler if going for a 3.8ghz overclock and above. The 920 and 930 i7's are very hot chips and if they aren't showing high temps yet they will when you stress test them or run an intense program. I would keep it below 3.4ghz or carefully watch the temperatures at all times.

When you look at the temperatures in the BIOS you will see the core temp at idle speed, im not certain what your 73c and 52c readings are (maybe im reading your post wrong) but I would guess the 52c is the real temp of the core and that sounds pretty high for idle temperatures. Mine is like 37-40c if I remember correctly. The 73 might be the shutdown temp that your BIOS is set at, you should be able to check that by reading your motherboard manual. If this is the case the reboot during stress testing could be a safety measure by your BIOS to prevent your i7 930 from overheating.

I use a Thermalright True 120 rev.c with 2 fans and im very pleased with it, many other options out there for more and less $$$ so read up on it.

What do you have your vcore set to?

Just to be sure "core temp" is a program, forgive me if you know this already. here is a link, definitely use it when overclocking. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks again- the overclocking guide was very helpful.

Seems that the problem was the QPI freq not being exactly 2x the DRAM freq- fixed that, per the DFI mobo specs, and bada-boom it works!

I'm VERY surpised, to tell the truth, must be insanely lucky to gain 4.2 (21x200 @ 1.35vcore)

Yeah, the temps worry me though. Will have to look into a cooler that fits (small area between mobo heatsinks, RAM, etc).

Thanks!!

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
:D Yeah, this is our newest render node, so it's only purpose is to run for hours on end at 100% CPU load, chugging away at 3D renders... so temps will be number one.

The Antec case is simply amazing though, and the dual 120mm silent fans right next to the CPU ought to keep 'er cool till we see if an aftermarket solution is needed.

Found out, btw, that the i7 scales like crud, unfortunately- the 4 HT cores are, at best, 30% the power of the 4 physical cores. Makes a big dif for rendering, which makes this not as hot a buy as we had hoped. Instead of 8 cores blazing at 4.2ghz, it is more akin to 5.5 cores simmering at 4.2ghz. lol.

Oh well, 4.2 is awesome, can't complain there! :D

dazed69

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
What you using for reading core temps? I'll be suprised if some damage hasn't already been done if its brand new. Definitely get a better Heatsink and remember ambient temperature will directly affect your results be ready for summer.

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I agree- we really need to do something about that.

I assume the comp would shut itself down or at least beep if getting TOO hot, all my old ones have. Regardless, definitly correct to get some better cooling ASAP.