E6750 2.26ghz & ASUS P5QL PRO MB OC

lukukz

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hi,

Well sometimes i get fps drops in games and i read around and so i want to OC my E6750 2.66ghz & ASUS P5QL PRO. I was thinking about getting a new CPU, E8400 something around that, but then i though it's not worth it.

My System:
E6750 2.66ghz / CPU Cooler Alpenfohn Grossglockner http://geizhals.eu/a324642.html - Got it on 1200rpm: It's bent abit on upper side, not the fan it self but the "metall", but i guess it's not a big problem since it's working well and the temps are fine aswell (~35C cpu and ~40C Motherboard).
ASUS P5QL Pro Motherboard
ENERMAX PRO82+ 425watt
2GB RAM
ATI HD4850 Sapphire 512mb&256bit
HDD 320GB

Since i don't have much clue about Overclocking, can some1 tell me aswell till where can i go? I don't want to go to the maximum since i don't need that much. I was thinking about starting around 3.0ghz and then checking if it's ok, if not: try it at 3.2ghz.

About overclocking itself, what is actually better: Using these Programs that i have on the ASUS installation CD or just doing it in BIOS with that program or w/e it is called "Ai Tweaker" in BIOS.

And ye could some1 then post a guide for my setup or just write me which setting should i set it the "Ai Tweaker" in BIOS. Like i said i don't want it to be at maximum, just want to start and edit it slowly and then just check if it's ok for me.

r_manic

Administrator
For most games, it's more important to tweak the graphic settings/upgrade the GPU than make changes to the CPU's operation. This is true even for relatively CPU-heavy games like the Left 4 Dead series. I'd suggest you consider upgrading your graphics setup or lowering your graphics detail, and upgrade your RAM to 4GB.