The 4870 Vs the 260 GTX Thread

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
For GOD Sake can we please make this a temporary sticky? I mean so many ppl are just repeating themselves for this same question, I can count 100 threads with these questions lately. :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Please people post your opinions here, and let ppl browse through.

Here are Reviews ENJOY!!!:

Guru3D

Driverheaven

This needs to STOP lol:p :hello:

TGGA back me up

If you have a crossfire board go 4870

If you have a SLI board go with the 260 GTX

If you have neither go with the cheaper 1

If you have both, well look at the games you like and make ur choice

If you love DX 10.1 go 4870

Planning on going Crossifre with a 4870 X2? 4870 1 gig is your choice

Tri sli board? 260 GTX or 260 GTX Sp 216

Please fill in what ever I missed:) I just typed it quick.

Davez

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
What is the point of this thread? Yes there are many threads refering to the same thing so why one more ? This issue has already been discussed a thousand times recently, just drop it.
Those cards are around the same level in performance you can't go wrong with any of those. Nvidia is leading at this time on that due to the new drivers getting a small fps's advantage over the 4870 1gb, but as it as been proven before, that can change with the new release of ATI drivers, which might get the balance done or even get ATi slightly ahead on FPS's.
It all sums up to a personal taste, I myself, prefer the gtx260-216 because it's more silent, consumes less, it doesn't get as hot as the 4870, and in my point of view, nvidia has better driver support than ATI. But just looking at it performance wise in games it's about the same.
Stop these useless spam threads about these 2 cards it's getting annoying already.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
If you see I want to keep it as a sticky, which mean less of these might go up because of this 1.

This is what the thread is saying either or. If this made it to the stickies it would help alot more than your drop it post.

Davez

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

That statement would be valid if it was infact the case here. I didn't make a post just telling you to drop it. I made it so I gave my opinion on the question aswell. :hello:

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
i agree with l1qu1d. i dont think people know what the search feature is.

as for nvidia having better drivers than ati, I'm not so sure about that. ever since i got my 8800gt I've had nothing but problems with stability, yet i never have problems with my 2900xt. and the only difference was the VGA drivers. just my personal experience.

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I think I will make a dual vs quad thread and ask for it to be a sticky. It would be so cool to have a sticky with my name on it.

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
And I agree with coozie7. It would be great if toms did some article on which cards were the best at specific price ranges. Maybe update it monthly or something. If we all mail our congressmen and ask them to mail toms about this completely lack of information maybe something will happen... Just maybe.
What a day that would be! HOPE09!