Dedicated GPU Jerry Rigged Help

daspence

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I have a Dell Dimension C521 (Slimline Model). It contains a 285 Watt power supply. I am interested in installing a NVidea 9800 GT Low Profile Graphics Card, to upgrade from my 6150 integrated.

I know this is not enough power for the card, and wondering if I can dedicate a seperate Power supply outside of my computer strictly for the GPU. I have jumped the P1 connector with my friend to allow it to run, but I am wondering if this is okay, and if I can allow it to run to power the GPU. If I turn off my system, and the dedicated power supply is still running, is this going to mess with my system?

Any help would be terrific

Thanks in advance

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The obvious solution (to me anyway) is to run the entire PC off the external PSU, that or buy a new case, if you want something less obtrusive, try sticking a PICO PSU in your case to run just the graphics card.

daspence

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Well, im not sure if i am being very specific about my needs. I have a computer that is a Slim line.... meaning there is not any room for another optical drive, let alone a ATX form factor power supply.

The power supply in my computer runs my set up fine, what i need is more power for a possible graphics card installation into my tower.

Now i know i could simply buy another case, and another power supply... they even have some that are 450w and a tower for about $30. But i am being REALLLY cheap, and have extra computer parts lying around.

I just need to know if it will be harmfull to run a seprate external PSU that is designed to be internal. The external PSU is being turned on by bridging two of the wires on the P1 connector, other wise the PSU wont run at all. That is what the motherboard does when you press the power button... lol.... ;)

Anywho.... what i am needing to know, is if i do this, will it be bad for my system. For example, since the external PSU has no controller running it, there is simply power running to the graphics card at all times.... but i would assume also, that the card has a power controller built into it to pull the power it needs.
Soooo.... just want to know if this is possible.... any ideas?

bwarner

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
You sure can I do and it works great, I have a external power supply running my gtx 295 with no problems at all, and my internal power supply running everything else, my external is just sitting next to my computer.