cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hi, I received the Nocuta NH-D14 recently and thinking I have the best air cooler out, it would be dumb not to put it in the best position I could.

I have an antec 1200 and I've OC'd a 920 CPU to 4 Ghz so my temps get to about 70.

If anyone else has an antec 1200 please offer some insight.

For anyone who doesn't, the antec 1200 has 2 120mm fans which you can alternate between 1200, 1600 and 2000 RPM (I'm not going to be using the highest setting, it's very noisy), and right on top of the case, above the cooler, you have the 200mm fan which runs at 400, 600 and 800 RPM the max for this is much more quiet and according to this

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/1200_EN%20manual.pdf

provides better airflow compared to the max settings on the smaller fans.

Here is a picture made in paint :( sorry, couldn't take a pic.

Any ideas? I'll prolly test it next week anyway

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Because you have a rear and top exhaust fan you have both options as reasonable choices, probably wont see more than 2-4c difference between the two. But that can be a big difference if you are looking for premium cooling.

From what ive read you want the pipes to circulate the thermal differences in high and low temperature inside the pipes themselves. To do this the pipes need to be oriented so there is a high and low location. This link has a picture of the orientation im thinking about. http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=870&page=4

The way you install the cooler also impacts performance a lot as well, so consider: lapping, thermal compound choice, thermal compound application method, and pressure on the IHS.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Usually it's best to have it oriented so it's exhausting out the rear. That way it's drawing in cool air from the front of the case. Otherwise, it can be drawing in hot air off the back of the video card.

shovenose

Distinguished
facing the back (the first orientation shown in ur paint picture).
a)it is the recommended orientation, they designed it with that orientation in mind
b)less airflow issues with the case fans that way

I'm using same case w/ Prolimatech Megahalems .... Prolimatech's answer was that testing showed it had a slight advantage blowing towards rear......nothing confirmed as to why but was suggested that there was some additional benefit gained by cross ventilation.....convection coming off HS being exhausted thru top and all.

I absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee that individual results will vary. There are too many factors and variables involved in cooling.

My best advice is to try it both ways and see which configuration works best for you. I've done some experimenting myself. I even turned my pc upside down to see if having the cpu at the bottom would produce improve cooling. It didn't.

shovenose

Distinguished

while u were at it, did you try it sideways, the way the desktop systems you stick ur monitor on top of are oriented? did it help? theoreticallt ithink it would. what do you think,
otherwise, i read ur post and LOL ROTFL

shovenose - When I turned the case upside down it was to test the "hot air rises" theory. The idea was that it would be a little cooler at the bottom of the case. I have always maintained when it comes to forced air systems the theory does not apply.

Funny you should mention the old horizontal desktop cases. I was looking at horziontal cases the other day for a possible project. I've been toying with using a horizontal case to create a wind tunnel effect. The problem is that most modern horizontal cases are designed for home theater pc's. On top of that they are not tall enough for tower style heatsinks. The case would have to be 8 inches (204mm) tall. Then I started looking as horizontal server cases. I found a local company right here in Phoenix, Arizona that has server cases that are not too wide or too deep in a variety of heights. The server cases bolt together and the case panels are plain. The price is low so it might be worth doing a case mod.