G

Hello,

I recently bought a HD4870 and I'm looking for a PSU to go with it.
I have to change the PSU because the one i currently have sports only 1 pin, whereas the card requires 2 pins.

My doubt is what kind of pins this card uses. I've seen PSU's with the following : 2 x PIC Express - 6 pins. Also, there are other PSU's with the following features: · 2x PCIe cables for NVIDIA SLI & ATI/AMD Crossfire or PCI-E 6+2P (8P).

Could you please help me ?
In ATI webpage the card requirements are as follows:
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

So, What should I choose? I don't really want to spend on the PSU half of what the card cost me... So I won't pay more then 50-80 dollar.

Thanks.

G

I'm sorry I don't know what's wrong with the formatting.

G

The question is:

Would a 2x6 PCI-Express 600W PSU be enough? Or instead, I should go with a 2x8 PCI-Express.

Thanks.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
You would want a 600watt PSU for a HD4870. Keep in mind that your card should come with a connector for the 6/8 pin conector. To go from the PSU molex conector to likely a 6 pin PCI-E conector. I would recommend something like OCZ or Corsair for the new PSU. Even if the PSU only has one PCI-E conector (6 pin) there should be an added conector with the card itself. G luck.

G

This is what I've chosen:

NOX 600W
1200mm FAN
- Conectors:
- 1 x 20+4 pins (Mobo)
- 1 x 12V - 4 pins (Mobo)
- 5 x 12V/5V - 4 pins (Units
- 2 x SATA
- 1 x Floppy - 4 pins
- 2 x PIC Express - 6 pins

It's around 70 bucks. I really don't care about brands. Plus I forgot to say I live in spain, so can't buy things on newegg.com, but thanks for your help qwertycopte :)

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hmm... ok looks good. It should hold up. ATI 4870 uses 2x 6pins so yeah that one would work.

I would say you can try ebay or other sources of ordering online. I would pay a lot more attention to brand if I were you especially your PSU. Maybe I should reword this...

What I'm trying to say is look at the specs and reviews and don't skimp on your PSU. They provide power for your entire computer and so if you get a crap one and it doesn't have proper protection and nice voltage, your computer 1) will not run as smooth 2) May get totalled completely in the event of a lightening storm or other possible things that power can damage your computer.

Nice PSUs can also provent from over volting. This means if the required power is much too high, it will be able to safely protect your computer before anything major goes wrong. Crappy psus will just fry or damage your computer.

TRENDING THREADS