Sign in with
Your question

What do I need to know: 1080p lcd gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2008 4:09:04 PM

alright, I would like to get my learn on before I put together my new bang for the buck build. I want to be able to play games on my Samsung LN40A550, which is a 40" 1080p LCD. The Samsung will accept not accept anything over 1920X1080p so 1920X1200 won't work [Here is a link to the TV's manual where it detail, page 42 has the PC info in this huge pdf]. I currently have it going right now with my old nvidia 7900gs (i think?) at 1360X768 through DVI but it only works as a extension not as a clone or what have you.

My new specs are detailed here but here is a summary:

E8400
Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 2X2GB
Antec Earthwatts 650w
Asus HD 4850
Antec Three Hundred
Xigmatek 1283 (maybe the sunbeam if I can't find the retention bracket for the xigy)

aim to OC to 3.6ghz

what do you guys think? How best should i connect the two and what catalyst settings need to be in place? by the way, i have a 1440 X 900 monitor as well which is part of the reason i would like to play games on the big LCD. Thanks!

EDIT: i swear i had it formatted like this when i first posted, i have noticed I am not the first person this has happened to today...

More about : 1080p lcd gaming

December 5, 2008 4:21:45 PM

For the love of god...

paragraphs! :heink: 
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:31:29 PM

kingtz said:
For the love of god...

paragraphs! :heink: 

Amen, holy cow my eyes are bugging out.

What you need to know, is it'd be best to find yourself a new video card with an HDMI output on it if possible. This isn't as easy as it should be. Some cards will list "HDMI" support, but do not physically have an HDMI connection. Therefore, on most modern cards you have to get a special adaptor. Though if your TV has that DVI connection, you could simply stick with that.

Looking at the Quick Guide for your television, there is a "PC" connection, but it shows to be a standard VGA, and is not even the digitial DVI connection (that sucks!). You need to try to get yourself an HDMI video card, or adaptor so you can connect that way. You'll find you get a better picture that way.

Then you can play with Catalyst or nVidia Forceware settings to see about setting up a custom resolution if need be. That way you can set your resolution to your TV's max of 1920x1080p possibly. You'll likely need HDMI to do this, as your TV may only display that resolution if you're connected to the HDMI ports.
Related resources
December 5, 2008 4:36:12 PM

Just get an HDMI to DVI cable, they cost less than ten bucks for a 6 footer. I just got my new 1080p 21.5" monitor yesterday and i just plugged it in and set the resolution in the Nvidia control center to 1920x1080 and screwed with some of the color settings on the monitor and I was playing in no time.

Basically with that you can hook up whatever you want to your screen. Just make sure your computer is outputing 1920x1080 and you will be all set.

Yer gonna need a good video card to run that res on that big tv. 4850 should be good, I have SLI 8800GTS 512 and i didnt see any performance drops going from 1600x1020.
December 5, 2008 4:36:56 PM

I would say most of the new cards come with the hdmi adaptor.

You would want to check specs on the card though to make sure it is included.

for the paragraph complainers you can see in his post that he has a lot of "\n" which are supposed to be newline characters but it obviously did not translate through to his post.
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:40:42 PM

KITH said:
for the paragraph complainers you can see in his post that he has a lot of "\n" which are supposed to be newline characters but it obviously did not translate through to his post.

Well, that's what ya get for trying to insert code where it won't work. And, what you get for not checking your own post after you hit the "Submit" button. ;) 

But that's just me. I like to check and make sure my posts say what I intended them to say. What I post reflects on me personally.
December 5, 2008 5:52:08 PM

ok, so this is the 4850 i am going to get, it comes with an dvi to hdmi converter. Setting up the custom resolution sounds easy enough, hopefully it will look right. But you think I should use the HDMI in then? Will the setting be difficult considering I will have two resolutions (1080p and 1440X900)? I am sure you can set up a profile to get the settings right and just load it when I want to use the Samsung...

As for the formatting I am always semi nervous about posting a new topic so I preview it and proof read it after it posts, and it looked fine the first time, but after coming back it looked all out of whack. I didn't use ANY code and I have seen a lot of new topics specifically around the forum look like that today.
December 5, 2008 6:01:48 PM

Okay... There are way too many words in these posts. Anyway... Large lcd/plasma screens work pretty much as normal computer screens. Get someting digital and turn the rest up to 1080p. You might need glasses to read what is happening in windows, so you could turn it back down to around 720p.
There is really nothing special about it. If you get specific problems, do post.
December 5, 2008 6:03:18 PM

I meant... Get a digital connection from your computer to screen. Like HDMI/DVI, You might get sound from an ATI card, even though it is only DVI.
December 5, 2008 6:13:56 PM

alright, i will get it figured out. At least you guys have given me a plan and the confidence to get it figured out.

BONUS: 50th post!!
December 5, 2008 6:32:56 PM

Just a heads up: If you set your TV's aspect ratio to 16:9, you will notice that the outer edges of your desktop cropped. Don't panic, this is due to overscanning set in the factory by all HDTV manufacturers.

For your Samsung, setting the aspect ratio to "Just Scan" should fix it.
!