Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan bearing type?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 9, 2010 8:13:57 PM

Basically, I'm looking for a fan to mount on the bottom of my case, and this one fits all my needs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've learned that, sleeve bearing fans aren't good for mounting horizontally. (shortens life because the lubrication in the bearing all seeps to one side of the fan due to gravity, and I've heard they make a lot of noise when mounted horizontally.)

Should I be concerned about this, and go for a ball-bearing? or would the sleeve be fine?

More about : fan bearing type

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 8:30:49 PM

Sleeve will be fine, but if you want ultra low noise while upside down, then go for ball.
March 9, 2010 8:35:01 PM

Not too worried about sound, so I think I'll stick with the sleeve. (to save a few bucks) I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be too annoying. Thanks for the help.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2010 8:35:32 PM

Best answer selected by HeroicHero.
m
l
March 9, 2010 8:43:03 PM

Ive got 2 of these fans and Im happy with them. Currently they are running vertical but for 4 months I had them both horizontal and never made a sound. Right now they are at 1650rpm and I cant hear them over any of my other fans. When they get to 1800rpm+ they get too noisy for me but that would likely happen to most fans in this price range at that speed.
I say good buy for the price.
m
l
March 9, 2010 8:53:15 PM

Oh, sweet. That's good to hear! Thanks a lot!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 9:58:12 PM

Yeah, when the oil goes to the other side it will make them a little louder, but not to much.

Also, you can always add more oil to the bearing.
m
l
March 9, 2010 10:04:38 PM

overshocked said:
Yeah, when the oil goes to the other side it will make them a little louder, but not to much.

Also, you can always add more oil to the bearing.

ive read that before too, you have to rip off the label though right? i kind of like things to look clean inside the tower so i think that would bother me but im curious about it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 10:48:24 PM

Yeah, you rip off the label, then there is a little plastic stopper and you have to rip that out to.

It really extends the life of the fan to. Of course a fan is going to last a couple years anyway.
m
l
March 9, 2010 11:03:38 PM

overshocked said:
Yeah, you rip off the label, then there is a little plastic stopper and you have to rip that out to.

It really extends the life of the fan to. Of course a fan is going to last a couple years anyway.

Ah, I see. I can always buy something else to stick on the fan after I rip off the label and add oil -- so it shouldn't hurt me aesthetically. That's very helpful.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 11:08:58 PM

There is really no need to replace the oil unless your really worried. 80% of people on THF probably dont know you can do that.
m
l
March 9, 2010 11:22:04 PM

Oh, I see.

I had just read some horror stories saying you should avoid Sleeve bearings like the plague, that's why I came here to ask. But it appears they either don't know what they're talking about, got a defective fan, or just chose a bad fan in general.

I'm hoping to get 3-4 years out of the fans in my case. (but that's not a very likely length of life is it?) This is the first build I've ever done for gaming, so this is the first time major cooling has been important to me. I don't really have the cash to go all out and get some of these $15-$20 fans from Noctua or Scythe, so I'm trying my luck with stock fans plus the one mentioned above. (all Cooler Masters)

I really appreciate the help!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 11:26:21 PM

You will be fine man. Its really hard to predict the life of a fan, but if your not doing anything strenuous with them they are specd to last quite a few years.
m
l
March 9, 2010 11:30:43 PM

Awesome! Quite reassuring to hear that. Wish me luck with my build, and thanks again. ;D
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 11:48:05 PM

Yep, NP.

Good luck, specs?
m
l
March 10, 2010 12:02:54 AM

Eh, let's see:

Phenom II x4 955 C3
Radeon 5770
4GB DDR3 1600
Auzentech Forte
ASUS M4A79XTD
Cosair HX750W
WDD Caviar Black 1TB

And to top it all off, an 8600GT for Phys X (had one from an old build) and a 212+ for CPU cooling. I don't think I did too bad for having a pretty small budget.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2010 1:19:54 AM

Yeah, nice system man.

Have fun!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2010 3:51:24 PM

That does look nice. You could use a lower-wattage PSU to save some money (stick to Corsair, or Antec or Seasonic).
I've got one of the LED versions of that fan. Mounted vertically on the side of my case, it does whine a little, but not too bad. It moves a decent amount of air and is otherwise quiet. If you run the fan at less than 100%, it will last longer.
m
l
March 10, 2010 4:49:28 PM

Onus said:
That does look nice. You could use a lower-wattage PSU to save some money (stick to Corsair, or Antec or Seasonic).
I've got one of the LED versions of that fan. Mounted vertically on the side of my case, it does whine a little, but not too bad. It moves a decent amount of air and is otherwise quiet. If you run the fan at less than 100%, it will last longer.

Yeah, I was originally going with the HX650W, but the 750 is only $15~ more expensive. (I was kind of set on getting a modular, but I'm not ordering my parts till next paycheck so I might just go with a non-modular to save some dough.)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2010 4:55:51 PM

Antec Truepower is a quality semi-modular PSU that has 550W, 650W, and 750W versions. The most used cables are fixed, and others are modular.
m
l
March 10, 2010 5:23:30 PM

Onus said:
Antec Truepower is a quality semi-modular PSU that has 550W, 650W, and 750W versions. The most used cables are fixed, and others are modular.

Ah, I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!
m
l
!