KIRAN TJ

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Sys Config

STUDIO XPS INTEL CORE I7 PROCESSOR
MEMORY : 8192MB (4X1024,2X2048) 1067MHZ
HARD DRIVE : 1TB (2X500GB)SERIAL ATA
GRAPHICS : 512MB ATI RADEON 4850

computer crashes to bsod randomly when all 8 gb RAM is installed. computer works fine the 7GB, without any issue. kindly advise on the same.

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006

Filling all the slots on a motherboard with RAM quite often stresses components, try relaxing the timings on your memory in the BIOS that may well help out with your stability issues.

KIRAN TJ

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for the reply, yes it makes sense.. still was checking for any alternative.

But should the system never have 8 gb though it is advertised

markivmariaj

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I just installed Kingston 6 X 2GB PC3 10600 DDR3 1333MHz memory on my XPS435MT - I am running Vista Ultimate 64-Bit and the system is running great. When I bought the box, it came with PC3-8500U-7-10-AP 2X1GB(ELPIDA Japan) and 2RX8 PC3-8500U-7-10-BO 2X2GB (hynix korea) - total 8GB. It ran fine then too, but the memory clocks at 1067 and is slower. The memory runs fine. You should do a BIOS Upgrade. Should run fine with 12GB!

fkarg

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I bought a 435MT 920 system from Dell outlet. It came with 6 1GB tri-channel sticks. I bought 6 2GB Corsair tri-channel sticks and installed them. The BIOS reports 8GB (and so does Vista x64.) Do I have 2 bad sticks? Any ideas appreciated, thx.

KIRAN TJ

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
This May Help in understanding Triple Channel :

In triple channel memory systems, the memory modules are installed on three separate channels, each with its own access to the memory controller, thus tripling the theoretical peak bandwidth when compared to single channel mode. Please note that the new Intel Core i7 processor has an integrated memory controller. The benefit is that the front side bus (FSB) and its related latency have now disappeared

In order to take full advantage of a system running in triple channel mode, the memory modules should be installed or upgraded in sets of three identical modules (same speed and capacity). Modules need to be installed in the first bank and users must follow any specific requirements set by the motherboard manufacturer. The second set of three memory modules (if the motherboard allows it) should also be identical and installed in the same way. To help separate bank 1 from bank 2, motherboard manufacturers usually use different colours to identify different banks.

The modules in bank 1 do not need to be of the same capacity as the modules installed in bank 2. However, if identical speeds or capacities are not installed within a single bank, the system will automatically revert to single channel or dual channel operation, regardless of module configuration.

The Studio XPS 435 uses PC3 memory. The DIMMS must be matched across 3 slots for best performance. 4 Dimms is not supported.
The Studio™ 435MT supports the following memory mode operations with performance depending on configuration:
• Tripple-channel symmetric mode, in which all channels are populated with the same size memory. This configuration yields peak memory performance as all channels are used simultaneously.
• Tripple-channel asymmetric mode, in which all channels are populated but with different memory amounts. This configuration yields the performance of a single channel of memory with the combined memory size of the three channels.
• Single-channel mode, in which only one channel is populated.
So when 3 slots are populated (Slot 1 2 and 3 the white connectors) with one GBytes Dimms the system is in Triple Channel Symmetric mode. And 3 GBytes are reported.

Now if another Dimm is added in slot 4, the black slots. The system is in single channel mode and both channels must match so as slot 2 and 3 are populated and slots 5 /6 are not, there is a mismatch and 2/3 are not used. Reporting only 2 GBytes.

Ideally you should fully populate the second channel adding Dimms to Slot 5/6 or remove the 4th Dimm and only populate 1/2/3, both of these will yield performance improvements over 4GBytes.

Each memory channel can support two dimms (more accurately, 4 ranks). Gigabyte built a board with 2 dimm slots on ch0 and a 1 dimm slot each on ch1 and ch2. Thus four slots total.

The Core i7's memory controller is sufficiently advanced that it can interleave memory accesses even if the channels are unevenly populated. If you leave a channel unpopulated you're loosing bandwidth since you can't take advantage of the aggregate throughput of all three channels. If you populate 4 slots; there will be some memory that can't be interleaved since the channel0 will have more memory on it.