Sign in with
Your question

Optical drive is unable to read recordable CD

Last response: in Storage
April 14, 2010 7:03:36 PM

Hi,

I have been struggling for two days with my laptop DVDRW drive. It is no more able to read CD-R.

It reads and burns DVDs with no problems, It read original CDs (those with silver coloured base) correctly. However, when it comes to CD-R it always recognize them as blank media even though reading them on another laptop indicates they are data-filled.

Trying a test before loosing hope, I got a new blank cd, inserted it and tried to burn few jpg images on it. It seemed to be writing and gave me a "successfully burnt" message, I inserted it again and tried to read it, it was again recognized as blank CD, I tried this same CD on another PC and Voila, the files I burnt were there. Conclusion: My drive can burn CD-R but can not read them.

I ensured that the lens is clean, actually re-cleaned them with a cd cleaner and with alcohol damped q-tips to make sure it is ok. But still nothing changed.

Seems not to be a problem with the laser, since it reads original CDs with absolutely no problem.

Tried six different CD brands, so I am confident it is not a problem with media from a certain manufacturer.

Not a driver issue, since booting from bootable dvds succeed while from CD-Rs do not succed.

This is driving me mad, anyone experienced a similar problem?

P.S: the drive is a matshita UJ850S
April 15, 2010 4:30:52 AM

check for firmware update..
m
l
April 15, 2010 8:09:45 AM

I only found it at cdrinfo but running it gave an error message "this firmware is not for this device"
m
l
December 4, 2012 6:04:08 AM

sprinkler said:
Hi,

I have been struggling for two days with my laptop DVDRW drive. It is no more able to read CD-R.

It reads and burns DVDs with no problems, It read original CDs (those with silver coloured base) correctly. However, when it comes to CD-R it always recognize them as blank media even though reading them on another laptop indicates they are data-filled.

Trying a test before loosing hope, I got a new blank cd, inserted it and tried to burn few jpg images on it. It seemed to be writing and gave me a "successfully burnt" message, I inserted it again and tried to read it, it was again recognized as blank CD, I tried this same CD on another PC and Voila, the files I burnt were there. Conclusion: My drive can burn CD-R but can not read them.

I ensured that the lens is clean, actually re-cleaned them with a cd cleaner and with alcohol damped q-tips to make sure it is ok. But still nothing changed.

Seems not to be a problem with the laser, since it reads original CDs with absolutely no problem.

Tried six different CD brands, so I am confident it is not a problem with media from a certain manufacturer.

Not a driver issue, since booting from bootable dvds succeed while from CD-Rs do not succed.

This is driving me mad, anyone experienced a similar problem?

P.S: the drive is a matshita UJ850S

m
l
!