Sign in with
Your question

New hard drive, recognized in BIOS, but not in Windows, need to format

Last response: in Storage
April 14, 2010 8:45:06 PM

Hi,

I just built a system that was only running with a 40 GB Intel SSD for about a week now. Nothing is wrong with the computer, and I've been running Windows 7 on the 40 GB drive. I just hooked up another 80 GB internal SSD though and I don't see it in Windows. Now I imagine this is normal because I need to format/partition the drive or something like that. But I don't know how. BIOS recognizes the drive so it's hooked in correctly.

My goal is to use the 40GB I have the OS installed on to run just the OS and some minor applications (anti-virus, media center and such) and I'm going to use the 80GB to run just about everything else (photoshop, office, steam and such). I have no idea how to accomplish this though so any help would be groovy :) 

Thanks a lot guys!!
a c 342 G Storage
April 14, 2010 9:03:46 PM

Check this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244697-32-sata-drive-...

and my post on 05-25-09. Ignore the "not looking in the right place" part - not pertinent to you.

Depending on what OS you are running, things may go as described there - separate steps for Partition Creation and Format operations, OR the two may be combined into one helpful Wizard within which you sett all parameters for both operations. This is the process for all standard HDD's, so I presume ti is also for the SSD's the emulate them.
April 14, 2010 9:23:21 PM

NICE. Thank you sir!!!
Related resources
May 29, 2010 1:34:31 AM

Paperdoc said:
Check this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244697-32-sata-drive-...

and my post on 05-25-09. Ignore the "not looking in the right place" part - not pertinent to you.

Depending on what OS you are running, things may go as described there - separate steps for Partition Creation and Format operations, OR the two may be combined into one helpful Wizard within which you sett all parameters for both operations. This is the process for all standard HDD's, so I presume ti is also for the SSD's the emulate them.

Thanks so much.... your explanation allowed me to get my Intel SSN recognized in Winows 7.... appreciated! - Tod
May 29, 2010 5:37:05 PM

thanks paperdoc, saved me posting an old question that is new to me!

Dead
!