HTML File Disappeared After Edit

xaffy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I edited a HTML file in Notepad++, saved it, and then closed out of Notepad++. Upon closing out of Notepad++, I noticed that the file had "disappeared." I looked in the recycle bin, searched for it, and even used Recuva to try to recover it, but I could not find it. Not a trace. I just don't see how it could have disappeared with out a single trace. Any help on locating my lost file would be helpful as I need that file for tomorrow.

P.S. I only used Recuva to search the "My Documents" folder, which is where the folder that had the file was located, and the system has two partitions. One with Windows install + some programs and a second one with the My Documents folder.

Notepad eh??

Maybe it's not really gone, just renamed.

The default extension for Notepad is .txt unless you quote the entire filename in the save-as box, or, under filetype, you selected "All Files" and renamed the already there ".txt" back to ".html."

It may be there as a txt file now.

xaffy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

I did not add the .html extension when I searched for it, I just searched for the name. So, no it was not renamed to a .txt file.

Considering all that you have tried to locate the file, I see only one thing left to try.

If you know the day you did that, search for all files on that date.

If you know only about when you did this, use windows explorer to look in folders and click top bar, at
"date modified" or "Created" (if it shows) and make it ascending or descending as you prefer (by clicking the bar once or twice) and look around the date suspected at all files in that range, looking for something familiar that may be it. The file really might be gone. :(