Fail to boot, motherboard? or power supply?

DA5ID

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Hey folks, i built a new system, with an antec 650w 12v psu, a BIOSTAR T Power 145 mobo, a q9550 cpu, a 9800gx2 vga, and 4 gigs of 1066 ram. So, I was using my computer, and i wanted to charge my iPod. So i plugged it in, and the mouse and keyboard immediately stopped working. Eventually I just had to force the computer to shut down. So, I boot it back up, and the keyboard and mouse dont light up, the screen is blank, and I have removed the iPod already. All the fans are going, and it seems like the components are working properly, but the motherboard shows that on the AMI BIOS POST CODE display, it always gets stuck on 06. It never goes beyond this, and there is no sign of life on the screen, but all the fans are on. There is also a red led on, under it, it says, led3. I dont know what to do. Anyone know if this is a psu problem or a motherboard one? Did I fry my mobo? Or my psu? Or both?

Thanks, DA5ID

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
sounds like the motherboard USB power circuit fried out.

USB is the 5 volt line I believe. you should be able to test the PSU with a multi meter and a jumper

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
plenty of things run on 5 volts in a computer. the 5 volt power circuit might be a better term.

its one or the other. if you have a multimeter or another machine, you can test the PSU easy enough.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I think its the blue wire that needs to be jumped to ground to fire up a PSU not plugged into a computer. you might want to look it up online.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If you want to start a PSU, That is NOT plugged into the motherboard.
You need to create a momentary contact between the Green wire and any of the black wires. on the 20/24 pin connector.
It sounds like your motherboard died, partly.
If the board is from Asus and you are within the 30 day return time frame take it back to where you bought it and get a good DFI board.