Trouble setting up SSDs in RAID 0

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
So, I've purchased my first set of SSDs with the intention of putting them in RAID 0 and using it as my boot drive. But alas, I've run into a problem. Hopefully I'm overlooking something, so I'll start with my specs:

Windows 7 64 Pro
Foxconn A79A-S motherboard
PhII 940
2 x 40 gb Intel X-25V SSDs
2 x 1 tb HDD (1 WB & 1 Hitachi)

All four drives show up in my BIOS. When I set th SATA type option to RAID (as instructed by the manual) and reboot, I am taken to the RAID utility screen. From here, I try to set up RAID 0, but only the two HDDs show up.

I tried this procedure several times, but with the same results. I went ahead an installed Win7 on one of the SSDs, which went smoothly. All four drives are recognized in Windows as well. I download and applied the Intel firmware update to both drives, tried the RAID steps again, and still failed to see them as an option.

Like I said, hopefully I am missing an obvious step, as this is my first time dabbling in RAID. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to use the BIOS to actually configure the two SSDs as a RAID volume before Windows will be able to see them. It's more than just selecting "RAID" as the mode for the controller, you have to actually tell it to select both SSDs and configure them as RAID 0. Once you've done this you should be able to see them in the Windows installation screen.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my decription. The 'RAID utilty screen' I mentioned is actually called Option ROM utility, and is still part of the BIOS. This is where I have no option to select the SSDs, only the HDDs, when I am asked to select which drives I want for RAID 0.

Also, my BIOS and drivers are up to date.