Athlon x2 5000+ abnormal CPU temp 80C+ at idle

teruyume

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I bulit a system about a month ago, i used AMD overdrive tool and Everest Ultimate 4.5 to check the CPU temp. It shows that my CPU temp is constantly at above 80C, even when idling. I know that's pretty high temp for the athlon x2 so i decided to drop in a Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 64; however it doesn't help to reduce my idle temp at all, still around 80 ~ 82C. I need some suggestion on what maybe went wrong in my system. I am quite sure it's not the software because I used the same copy on my other computer, Phenom x4 9950, which shows CPU temp at 44C Idle and 57C Max.

My computer:
CPU: Athlon x2 5000+ 65nm non BE
CPU cooler: Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
MOBO: Gigabyte 780G-S2H ver1.0
Case: Antec Sonata w/ 500W PSU
Memory: OCZ 800MHZ platnium XTC
HDD: Seagate 250G x2

In addition:
I tried to leave the CPU fan speed at MAX all the time, it doesn't seems to help reducing the CPU Temp at all. Also the system is not OC'ed, Hypertransport, CPU clock, ... etc all set to AUTO.

Thank you.

I built four pc's for other people using the same psu. Never had a problem. It could very well be the temperature sensor is bad. Have you tried using a different program to monitor the temperature? If you get the same results with another program that would seem to indicate a bad sensor.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
if the temperatures didn't change even after installing a far better cooler, then it's almost certain that the temperature sensor is incorrect.

Juan-Paul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
OS temp sensors are not always correct, might be with the multiplier sets. But to get back to you, on your boot up, go into your bios sets, and check the temp there, that is what i tried when i got the same prob

TRENDING THREADS