Sign in with
Your question

What is th difference between a Quad Core and a Core 2 Quad CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2009 12:19:12 AM

I need to buy a CPU and i don't now much about computers. I am wondering what the difference between a core 2 quad and a quad core CPU is? Is there even a difference at all?
February 5, 2009 12:22:00 AM

Core 2 is the architecture. Think of it as Pentium, or Athlon.
February 5, 2009 12:25:01 AM

Wel which one would be better for a gaming system or are you trying to te me that theyre the same thing? I need some more info please.
Related resources
February 5, 2009 12:26:48 AM

read x bit

q6600 at 3.6ghz is only matched by the new i7

phenom II has caught the q6600

which process is how much money question - you want a balanced system best with a raid0

under $1500 go q6600 as you go up the i7 is better move
February 5, 2009 12:28:40 AM

not answering my question...i dont have the slighest clue what the difference is. Is quad core and core 2 duo two completey different types of processors or is one the style and the other the name or what?
February 5, 2009 12:35:00 AM

I said Core 2 was the architecture. So if you see something that says "Core 2 Quad", then its obviously a quad core CPU.

Now if you want to buy one, for basic usage I recommend a Phenom. For gaming I recommend a Q9400. Im assuming you dont overclock, so buying say..a Q6600 would be pointless.
February 5, 2009 12:37:16 AM

spathotan said:
I said Core 2 was the architecture. So if you see something that says "Core 2 Quad", then its obviously a quad core CPU.

Now if you want to buy one, for basic usage I recommend a Phenom. For gaming I recommend a Q9400. Im assuming you dont overclock, so buying say..a Q6600 would be pointless.

what do you mean "architecture"
February 5, 2009 12:38:06 AM

What its made of, the process used to make it, the way its made, how it works, what makes it work.

Core 2, Pentium, Athlon, Phenom, i7. All of those are examples of architectures.
February 5, 2009 12:48:03 AM

spathotan said:
What its made of, the process used to make it, the way its made, how it works, what makes it work.

Core 2, Pentium, Athlon, Phenom, i7. All of those are examples of architectures.

ohhhhhh ok i understand now and i have a question about crossfire too....im getting two readeon hd 2900's and i don't reay no how it works....all i know about crossfire is that it lets you use more than one graphics card...do you mess with the cables or use software to make it run or what? how does it work?
February 5, 2009 1:31:03 AM

Can we please use google??

But to answer ur question...
U need a CF capable board with 2 PCI-E slots and the cards. Also the CF connector to connect them
Y would u CF 2 2900s? Do u already have one?
And also, if u only kno its more than 1 GPU then u wouldnt kno how inefficient it can be (i dont think the 2900s scale anywhere near the new 4000s). Do urself a favor and get a single better card.
a c 83 à CPUs
February 5, 2009 2:26:06 AM

Quad core just means the processor has 4 cores. AMD Phenom X4, AMD Phenom II X4, Core 2 Quad, and Core I7 are all quad cores.

Architecture is the way the processor is developed. AMD Athlon and Athlon X2 were built on what was known as the K8 architecture, the newer Phenom chips are based off of a newer architecture known as K10. Pentium 4 and Pentium D were both on what is known as the netburst architecture. I think you get the point on that.

I also must ask why 2 Radeon 2900s? They are cards from 2 generations ago and are weaker than todays graphics cards. You would produce much less heat and consume less power, and probably save money if you purchased one of the newer high end cards.

Also for crossfire you need to make sure you've got 2 PCI Express slots and 2 PCI power connectors on your power supply.
!