Rear outtake fan with Fox-1 System Blower

isamuelson

Distinguished
Okay, in another thread I had already gotten answers to my PC case which is NOT the best in air flow, but at this time, I don't want to upgrade it.

Currently, I have an 80mm fan in the front taking air into the case. On top of the case is a 650 watt power supply that has a fan facing down into the case that vacuums the air out the back of the power supply.

I do not have any room on the back of the case to install another fan. However, I found the Evercool Fox-1 System Blower that goes into a slot and the fan faces up to vacuum air out the back. I know it's not the BEST answer (upgrading my case is, but I don't want to do that right now).

My question is, will having the Fox-1 System Blower at the bottom of the case pulling air down and out cause an issue within the case going against the power supply on top which is pulling air up and out? Would this create a negative area in the case that might increase my ambient temperatures rather than hopefully reduce them?

The blower is definitely cheaper than a new case, so I'm looking at this being a temporary fix until I do decide to upgrade the case.

Thanks!

Solution
also, im not sure how much air the pci slot dan moves. what size of fan is it approximately? 80mm, 90mm, 120mm??? it probly still moves less air than the 80mm front intake fan, so you still have positive pressure. add the psu fan, ur about even. hoever, i would suggest adding the 80mm fan and seeing if it improves the temps or make them worse. if it doesnt help, its only a few bucks.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Well, I did and it brought my idle CPU temps down by about 5 degrees (from about 50 45).

I then installed a new heat sink (The Hyper 212 Plus) and now I"m hovering around 40 degree's idle.

It appears to have helped since I was idling around 50 and going up to around 66 full load.

Running Prime95, through 5 tests, my CPU temp has never climbed above 52C! I'm sure the heat sink has a lot to do with it, but I also feel better having moved wires out of the way and installing the fan in the back. I really think that has helped.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Yeah. That was me. I don't even really have a spot in all reality unless I make one. I was planning on it when I came across the PCI slot fan and it definitely has knocked off about 5C and the heat sink has knocked off another 5 or more.

When I was running on the stock cooler and without the PCI fan, Prime95 wouldn't even get into the second test before I started reaching 70C.

With the PCI slot fan, I could get into the second and then it would get close to 70C.

With the heat sink, I never got above 52C after 6 tests, so I think the heat sink is what's helping the most, but at least, I think I'm getting better air flow through the case with the PCI Slot fan as well, so that makes me feel better.

I know my ambient temperatures were in the high 50's when I was running on the stock cooler and one 80mm fan in the front. Now, I'm in the 40's, so I definitely shaved 10 degrees off both readings (CPU temp and ambient temp).

shovenose

Distinguished
also, im not sure how much air the pci slot dan moves. what size of fan is it approximately? 80mm, 90mm, 120mm??? it probly still moves less air than the 80mm front intake fan, so you still have positive pressure. add the psu fan, ur about even. hoever, i would suggest adding the 80mm fan and seeing if it improves the temps or make them worse. if it doesnt help, its only a few bucks.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished

It's measurement was around 80mm. I'll look into adding the other fan eventually. For now, I'm pretty happy with the temperature readings I'm currently getting.

Thanks for all the advice!

TRENDING THREADS