Com ports and Bluetooth? TIA.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance!

1. Is there a simple software/prog out there that can help me identify what
com ports are in use and what programs are using them? I am trying to use a
GPS receiver and windows keep assigning it to port 26 but that one is way to
high for the software to use! It says that com port should be from port 1 to
10. Tried to change the port # manually but it says nothing available below
26!

2. What can I do to stop windows XP from installing the Bluetooth drivers
automatically every time I plug in my USB adapter? I want to use the Widcomm
drivers that came with it.

Thanks again and have a good one!

Lisa

Lisa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hope someone can help and thanks in advance!
>
> 1. Is there a simple software/prog out there that can help me identify what
> com ports are in use and what programs are using them? I am trying to use a
> GPS receiver and windows keep assigning it to port 26 but that one is way to
> high for the software to use! It says that com port should be from port 1 to
> 10. Tried to change the port # manually but it says nothing available below
> 26!
>
> 2. What can I do to stop windows XP from installing the Bluetooth drivers
> automatically every time I plug in my USB adapter? I want to use the Widcomm
> drivers that came with it.
>
> Thanks again and have a good one!
>
> Lisa

1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315539
Use this method to reveal hidden and 'ghosted' devices and uninstall them.

2. Look at the documentation that came with your device. It may be that
you have to install the drivers before plugging in the device.

Mac

"John Coode" <faecius@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Lisa wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hope someone can help and thanks in advance!
>>
>> 1. Is there a simple software/prog out there that can help me identify
>> what com ports are in use and what programs are using them? I am trying
>> to use a GPS receiver and windows keep assigning it to port 26 but that
>> one is way to high for the software to use! It says that com port should
>> be from port 1 to 10. Tried to change the port # manually but it says
>> nothing available below 26!
>>
>> 2. What can I do to stop windows XP from installing the Bluetooth drivers
>> automatically every time I plug in my USB adapter? I want to use the
>> Widcomm drivers that came with it.
>>
>> Thanks again and have a good one!
>>
>> Lisa
> 1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315539
> Use this method to reveal hidden and 'ghosted' devices and uninstall them.
>
> 2. Look at the documentation that came with your device. It may be that
> you have to install the drivers before plugging in the device.

Thanks John!

On the Bluetooth issue, it is an old adapter that my sister gave to me! I
only have the CD and the manual in there says nothing about XP drivers
taking over! It does state that I should not plug the adapter until asked to
do so by the installation program. But, once I plug it in midway through the
installation XP takes over and installs its drivers. I want to stop XP from
doing so, it should be a way to do so! Thanks again.

mac wrote:

> Thanks John!
>
> On the Bluetooth issue, it is an old adapter that my sister gave to me! I
> only have the CD and the manual in there says nothing about XP drivers
> taking over! It does state that I should not plug the adapter until asked to
> do so by the installation program. But, once I plug it in midway through the
> installation XP takes over and installs its drivers. I want to stop XP from
> doing so, it should be a way to do so! Thanks again.

I don't use Bluetooth myself so can't speak from experience but this
page looks useful:
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/07/05/bluetooth.html?page=1
I would follow the advice to search for the latest driver on the
Broadcom site.

Latest posts