Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 on new fastest SSD HD's

Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2010 1:06:32 PM

On spinning hard disks, AFAIK setting up the HD's in RAID0 "multiplies" by the number of disks the speed (like 2x7200 should get u like 14,1400 rpm speed-like) Is it the same on SDD's?
I'm not interested in mirroring or parity like RAID5, I do video edit and my stream files are sometimes 20-60 GB and I need to record and re encode fast (no lags on video) I merely need faster read/write.
Read en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0_performance

More about : raid fastest ssd

a c 127 G Storage
April 15, 2010 1:11:42 PM

I did not understand your exact question. RAID0 increases performance with every disk added. This also applies to SSDs.

Note that SSDs perform interleaving/RAID0 internally already. The Intel X25-M has 10 parallel flash channels so it is like having 10 SSDs in RAID0. There is no limit to the number of disks. RAID0 arrays of millions of channels is theoretically possible.

So yeah you can use RAID0 on SSDs; its what i use. Be aware that running SSDs in RAID0 means you do not have TRIM capability.
m
l
April 15, 2010 1:13:59 PM

Sorry I was editing as you replied :) 

sub mesa said:
I did not understand your exact question. RAID0 increases performance with every disk added. This also applies to SSDs.

Note that SSDs perform interleaving/RAID0 internally already. The Intel X25-M has 10 parallel flash channels so it is like having 10 SSDs in RAID0. There is no limit to the number of disks. RAID0 arrays of millions of channels is theoretically possible.

So yeah you can use RAID0 on SSDs; its what i use. Be aware that running SSDs in RAID0 means you do not have TRIM capability.

m
l
!