Sign in with
Your question

Please help me decide what case!!!

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2009 5:24:03 AM

Hi my name is Bryce and I recently built my first computer and I need some help choosing a case. On the day I was building it unfortunently the computer shop was closed so I had to use an old case and psu in a mates garage. The case that i'm using at the moment not only looks very ugly but I also worry that it hasn't got good enough cooling.
Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+.
Motherboard:Asus M2A-VM (not the hdmi one).
Gpu: I'm using the motherboards intergrated graphics.
RAM: Kingston 1gb.
PSU: Hyena switching Power Supply Model Number: DR-B300ATX
HDD: 250 gb

I know I don't need that much cooling for my particular system but I want to use this case for builds in the future the cases that i've seen that I like at the moment include: antec 900, antec 1200,cm stacker 832 but if you guys have ideas for better cases please tell me because as a student I can only by this case once not keep upgrading all the time so I want to future proof the case.
Someone else recommend I get a new psu and I thought I was going to have to buy that anyway the local computer shop recommended this psu:Buy Silverstone Element ST50EF-Plus ATX12V 500W Power Supply Reta at PlayTech.co.nz

any help is much appreciated

More about : decide case

February 5, 2009 7:16:25 AM

The Antec 900 is good but due to the position of the PSU depending on PSU and motherboard the cable may not reach.

The Sharkoon Rebel 9 ECONOMY is a very good case is you're on a budget, something like $50-60 (£35).
February 5, 2009 3:18:56 PM

well i'm from new zealand so I don't know about the money, but yea the psu is the reason why i'm heading towards the cm stacker 832 because it mounts the psu at the top i do realise the cm stacker 832 is a bit expensive so if you can recon something better than the cm stacker it can't be too expensive
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 5, 2009 6:42:36 PM

DeVastatoR-UK is correct, there are power supplies with short power cables. Modern, high quality psu's do not have that problem.

I would like to point out that high quality power supplies such as those offered by Corsair and PC Power & Cooling have power cables of more than sufficient length for bottom mounted psu's in full size tower cases.

I have a CoolerMaster HAF 932 which is larger than a typical full tower case. It is huge. My Corsair power supply is installed in the bottom rear of the case. I routed the 8-pin power cable up the back side of the motherboard tray, through a slot in the top of the tray, and then into the 8 pin header at the top of the motherboard. No extension cable was required.
February 5, 2009 10:15:35 PM

yea what do you think about the cooler master stacker 832 that what I really want to get and its power supply is mounted at the top and also what do you think about the silverstone element power supply?

thanks for the help
!