Sign in with
Your question

LaCie Little Disk, Connector identification

Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2010 3:33:59 PM

I've been having a issue with my LaCie Little Disk, whereby there is a loose connection in the USB lead connected to the HD. I've been able to use it by ensuring it is in it's right position to complete the connection. But now it has completely given out. So what I'm looking to do it either find a replacement, or find the components so I can work on another solution. But I'm having problems identifying the components at the moment. If someone could take a look and point me in the direction of where to find them that'd be great!

Red, plug with loose connection
Blue, socket for the plug
Green, USB 2.0 plug.

Thanks in advance
Scott
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 15, 2010 5:02:21 PM

Assuming that the loose cable is connected to the male USB -- I doubt if the flat connector shown in evongugg's post would fit instead.

Personally, I would remove the hard drive (it looks like a standard mini-ide laptop disk) and probably get a mini- ide to USB connector. Check the interface by sliding the drive gently away from the connector (top) if turns out to be SATA get Sata to USB connector.
April 16, 2010 10:02:14 AM

Quote:
Assuming that the loose cable is connected to the male USB -- I doubt if the flat connector shown in evongugg's post would fit instead.

Personally, I would remove the hard drive (it looks like a standard mini-ide laptop disk) and probably get a mini- ide to USB connector. Check the interface by sliding the drive gently away from the connector (top) if turns out to be SATA get Sata to USB connector.

So having removed the hard drive from the connector I've no idea where to go next. The information on the drive says that it's SATA, could you confirm this for me please? I've posted below both the information on the side of the drive and a picture of the connection. Also do you have any recommendations on a new connector?

The connection is approximately 42mm, and it's a 2.5in drive.
a b G Storage
April 16, 2010 12:42:51 PM

Yes, that is for sure SATA. The longer connector on the top is the power connector, and the shorter one on the bottom is the data connector.
a b G Storage
April 16, 2010 2:46:20 PM

Quote:

There's a possibilty you could remove the pins from the plastic and plug the pins in directly.
a b G Storage
April 16, 2010 3:23:21 PM

I don't think so.
April 16, 2010 4:57:49 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions! Such a helpful community of people! :D 

I removed the old case and opted for a HDD docking station:

http://win-star.com/eshop/goods.php?id=81

It's made it less portable, but I've gained 2 extra USB ports on my MacBook and memory card readers that I didn't have before, and I still have access to all my data. So the pros out weigh the cons in my opinion.

Problem solved!

a b G Storage
April 16, 2010 4:59:24 PM

Glad to hear it!
That is a sweet looking dock.
April 16, 2010 6:55:08 PM

elel said:
Glad to hear it!
That is a sweet looking dock.

Yeah it's working out well; plus the added bonus is that it was reduced in Maplin. So overall it was a pretty cheap for what it is!
!