Final Decision on my GAMING RIG! Buying next week!

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
After doing research for several months, finally the time has come for me to buy my computer! The followings are the components that I'm intending to buy:

CPU = Intel Q6600 G0
GPU = HIS HD4870 1Gb
RAM = Corsair C4DHX 2x2Gb(4Gb) 4-4-4-12
Mobo = Asus P5Q-PRO
PSU = Corsair 620HX
DVD drive = LG SATA II
HDD = Seagate 640gb SATA II
Heatsink = Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Red Scorpion (using its own thermal grease) with crossbow back-plate
Case = NZXT Lexa Black line (decided to change from Antec 900 to this because Antec 900 appeared to be a dust-magnet)

I would really appreciate some comments or feedback on my rig. Did I make any mistake on choosing some of the parts there? Thanks in advance! :)

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I agree with Proximon... altho, for OCing I tend to go with Asus.. but thats just me. Rig is fine. I just got mine 2 months ago Q6600 OC to 3.6 Ghz, Asus Rampage, 4850 crossfire.

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
the GA-EP45-UD3P seems to be going over my budget. Something similar but better for overclocking would be good though.

I have no experience in overclocking, but would love to. So some recommendation on good OC mobo would be great :)

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
how long can i keep the thermal paste for? Will it dry up or something? Because I can't see why I need to buy 3.5g of thermal paste where I will only use less that 0.5g. If the original thermal grease that comes with the red scorpion is good enough, i'll probably stick with that? no?

slomo4sho

Distinguished
You could always go a step further and apply Arctic Silver to all the heatsinks on the motherboard and GPU if you feel your not getting what you pay for when purchasing the 3.5g tube.

Arctic Silver should keep your CPU 2-5 degrees Celsius cooler than the thermal grease that comes with the cooler...

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i see. But I was just wondering whether I can keep the tube for a long time? Will it dry up or something?

How about the other parts of my rig? are they all good?

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Much like a tube of toothpaste, the tip of the applicator will dry up but the innards will remain usable.

I would recommend switching to the ram Proximon recommended and also picking up the retention bracket. Other than that, your build looks solid.

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
what other alternatives are there will low voltage and good timing? If you can recommend me a few good ones I will try to find them in the Australian market.

TRENDING THREADS