nichos

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hi there,

I removed the Cooler off the CPU & renewed the paste without disturbing any other parts in my big box with plenty of room.

When I pressed the box SW to boot up, nothing happened except that the CPU, PSU & a case fan run for a second then stopped.

This happens each time even if I keep the SW pressed.

I reseated again the CPU chip, the two Ram sticks, the HD cables & every other cable in the box. Still the same.

Can anybody give me any ideas, besides ofcource chucking the lot in the bin !.

PC Home build
Asus A8N 32 sli deluxe
Bios AMI 64-1009
Chipset nF4-sli
AMD 3.5+ (2.20ghz)
Corsair twinx 1024-3200 DDR400mhz SDRAM 2x512mb
MSI 6600gt 128 PCI-E
Maxtor sata 160mb
PSU 400w
XP sp2

Clear the CMOS using the onboard jumper (see manual)

Make sure none of your thermal material went somewhere it should not, and is now causing a short. You should have cleaned off the old paste using a lint free object such as a coffee filter. You should have applied grease in an amount roughly equal to a grain of rice.

If you have no case speaker, connect one to the chassis speaker header on the motherboard, and listen for any beep code that may be generated.

nichos

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I cleared the CMOS as per book, they call it RTC RAM in CMOS, hope is the right one, BUT no improvement.

I did take care not to cause shorting with the paste.

The case speaker gives no deep code, whatever that is?

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
it sounds like a short circuit to me. check ALL your cables, the srews that keep your mobo from falling down, every jumper (that acidentally was moven), every pci(-x) perpheral, usb connector to be in place, and of course, the main power plugs.
good luck

nichos

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Even worst than that ! Ashamed to say I bent one of the CP chip pins, never before but there is always a 1st time.

And to think that I am extra carefull to see & hear the chip fall freely in the holes.

Thanx for the help anyway.

ex-dohc

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

You hit the nail on the head there mate.

I am glad your problem has been resolved Nichos.

A friend of mine was not to lucky and learn't a hard lesson.
He was also replacing the thermal paste and as he was going to re-mount the HSF it slipped out of his hands and a sharp corner landed square in the middle of his CPU die, left a very artistic star shaped crack in the die and a big dent in his pocket :cry: