4870HD Major Problem

sylvaner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Hi, Only recently i have been having some major pc problems, i think the problem is my 4870. When ever i start a game i only play it for about 10 minutes befor my screen freezes, i end up having to restart every time. My card idles at 70deg which is the average for that card, i have tried turning the fan up with rivertuner to get the card down to about 50, but that doesnt seem to be doing very much.
http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pc050589xn1.jpg
^^^^^^^^
thats what it looks like, just frozen like that
thanks in advanced for any help i can get :wahoo:
Windows Vista 64Bit
Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P
2x 2GB Patriot DDR2800

sylvaner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Yes it does, however Rivertuner allows you to control the fan speed with out Unlocking your card.
PS my CCC is: 8-11_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_70230

Cheesevillage

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I guess the real question is what temps you are hitting under load.

As per "unlocking" - I thought controlling the fan with CCC with totally legit.

sylvaner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Hey, i just played Red Alert 3 on max and the max my card got to without rivertuner changing the fan speed was 73 degreese
Would heat still be the issue, my computer only crashes whilst playing games, would three degreese realy make my computer so unstable?
thanks =)

Before the driver that let you control the fan I did the fan hack trick. I set it to 37% and the card never got to 58c. ( HIS )

Try popping the side off your case. You may not be getting enough cool outside air.

And since ATI provides the fan adjustment with the newer drivers, why don't you disable rivatuner ? I wouldn't worry about the "unlocking" mumbo jumbo at this point.

You may also try and remove the heat sink and try and put some new smooch on it and re-seat it.

You might want to try and use the CCC unlock to UNDER CLOCK your card. see what happens.

kingtz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Like someone mentioned, the airflow inside your case is very important. If you have a small case and it gets really hot inside, turning up your fan to 100% won't really matter since you're still blowing hot hair - only faster. So yeah, open up your case and blow a normal fan into it if need be.

Another issue could be your PSU. How many watts does it have? Your freezing could result if you don't have enough wattage since playing games will increase your card's load.

sylvaner

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Hi all and thanks for the help.
Currently my PSU is the coolermaster 500W with the special 8 pin connecters for the new motherboard, i have a 650W Coolermaster lying around is 500W isnt enough for my current setup.

My case is the P182 by Antec, i think the airflow throughout the case is good and my hard drives are all in the botom bay to keep heat away from all my motherboard, graphics, cpu ect.
another thought would be... is my cpu overheating? how hot should Q6600's get under load? mine stays at about 50 deg, is the stock fan good enough?

thanks everybody for your help again, i cant wait until i can get back to Deadspace, Fallout, DoTA and RA3 =) (maybe a little postal 2)

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
load temps still depends on your ambient temps. mine never goes past 50c and its running @ 3ghz. fully airconditioned room though and it has a coolermaster hypertx2 (cheap but effective) on top of it. do you have a 3rd party cpu hsf in there?

interestingly enough my 4850 crashes when i have my aircon turned off.

you can also try Antec's Spot Cooler. maybe it'll put off 3c-5c off your gpu temps, just maybe.

theres a PSU guru around here, i forgot he's name, hes quite good with the amps/watts/volts. im guessing he'll pop up sooner or later to help you.

oh yeah i remember his name now, mactronix. find the guy ask him about psu questions. he helped me a lot.