GTX 280 working slow?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2008 8:08:06 AM

Hi,

When running the build-in Far Cry 2 Small Range benchmark with all settings maxed out at a resolution of 1680x1050, I get an average of 46FPS on my GTX 280. This with NO anti-aliasing. Is this to low for a card like that?
I have the newest forceware (180.48) and i also use a 8800 GTS 512 as dedicated physx card. I also tried without it but it didn't make any big difference in performance. This is my rig:

ASUS Striker Extreme 680i
Q6600 OC'ed to 2.88 GHz
2x1024MB Corsair DDR2 800 in Dual Channel (5,5,5,12)
The rest of it isn't of any importance I guess.

Please help!

More about : gtx 280 working slow

December 6, 2008 9:01:44 AM

wow no thats pretty good in my books...
December 6, 2008 10:09:59 AM

Compared to other cards it might be good but compared to some benchmarks like this one http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1389&pageID=5630 it is a complete disaster.
I know that they are using a much much better system than mine but the difference is just huge. Is it possible that my config poses a large bottleneck for this card?

PS: They do not use max settings in the benchmark, but when i applied the same settings i got 56FPS avg while they had 80!
Related resources
December 6, 2008 10:57:33 AM

They were testing on an OCed i7 straight from their site ->Intel Core I7 965 Extreme (3.74 GHz 1.2975 Vcore)

I think that pretty much explains your difference in FPS.
December 6, 2008 11:37:52 AM

So my card is bottlenecked by my CPU/mobo? Because after all it's the card that's making the fps so its capable of delivering that amount of power but the rest of my system isn't just fast enough.
Maybe the fact that i have a PCIe 1.1 bus has something to do with it.
December 6, 2008 1:01:20 PM

Is your GTX 280 in the x16 PCIe lane. The white slot is 8x while the blue slots are 16x.
Just a thought if you installed it as an upgrade after the 8800 GTS and just put it in the next slot down.

Are you running Vista or XP? (32bit or 64?)

Whats your RAM usage during the game?

Did you clean out your old drivers?

I wouldn't say its a bottleneck until you account for all the other things that could have caused the difference in FPS. They are a professional review site with a dream rig tuned to benchmark. They have a clean install of Vista 64 bit on a super fast SSD. You have an old install of (insert OS here) with (insert HDD here) and (insert AV and all other background tasks you have running here) running in the background. When your numbers don't match theirs don't worry about it too much unless you want to build a rig identical to theirs (which they warn could bankrupt you).

After having said all of that, yes your CPU is probably bottlenecking you GPU to an extent and your mobo doesn't help the situation out by being PCIe 1.1 and unable to OC your Q6600 that much.
December 6, 2008 1:36:29 PM

Nils said:
Hi,

When running the build-in Far Cry 2 Small Range benchmark with all settings maxed out at a resolution of 1680x1050, I get an average of 46FPS on my GTX 280. This with NO anti-aliasing. Is this to low for a card like that?
I have the newest forceware (180.48) and i also use a 8800 GTS 512 as dedicated physx card. I also tried without it but it didn't make any big difference in performance. This is my rig:

ASUS Striker Extreme 680i
Q6600 OC'ed to 2.88 GHz
2x1024MB Corsair DDR2 800 in Dual Channel (5,5,5,12)
The rest of it isn't of any importance I guess.

Please help!

Your performance is perfectly fine. You would see a slight difference if you overclock the Q6600 a little more. Also the review you linked was using DX9, not DX10. You will absolutely NEVER get as high of results as most benchmarks, they tend to be very optimized for the GPU, meaning NO other bottlenecks.
December 6, 2008 2:14:13 PM

skywalker9952 said:
Is your GTX 280 in the x16 PCIe lane. The white slot is 8x while the blue slots are 16x.
Just a thought if you installed it as an upgrade after the 8800 GTS and just put it in the next slot down.

Are you running Vista or XP? (32bit or 64?)

Whats your RAM usage during the game?

Did you clean out your old drivers?

I wouldn't say its a bottleneck until you account for all the other things that could have caused the difference in FPS. They are a professional review site with a dream rig tuned to benchmark. They have a clean install of Vista 64 bit on a super fast SSD. You have an old install of (insert OS here) with (insert HDD here) and (insert AV and all other background tasks you have running here) running in the background. When your numbers don't match theirs don't worry about it too much unless you want to build a rig identical to theirs (which they warn could bankrupt you).

After having said all of that, yes your CPU is probably bottlenecking you GPU to an extent and your mobo doesn't help the situation out by being PCIe 1.1 and unable to OC your Q6600 that much.

The GTX 280 is in the first blue slot, 8800 GTS in the second blue slot (but i'm thinking of getting it out as it doesn't make any difference).

I'm running XP PRO SP3 32-bit

When I get out of the game back to the desktop with CTRL+ALT+ESC, I have about 60-67% mem usage. The DDR 800 is working really good as i lowered the timings from 5,5,5,18 to 5,5,5,12. Getting about 1120 KB/s in winrar bench.

I uninstalled the old drivers and used driver sweeper in safe mode. Then installed the new ones after reboot.

I have to say that my config is rock stable @ 2.88GHz (it isn't that high either). Running at it for a few months now and never crashed.
December 6, 2008 3:11:53 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Your performance is perfectly fine. You would see a slight difference if you overclock the Q6600 a little more. Also the review you linked was using DX9, not DX10. You will absolutely NEVER get as high of results as most benchmarks, they tend to be very optimized for the GPU, meaning NO other bottlenecks.

I linked the DX9 review because i'm gaming in DX9 too.

And what exactly do you mean by 'your performance is perfectly fine'? Do you mean for the whole system or just for the card? Because the frustrating thing is that this quite expensive card is just little bit faster than the 8800GTS 512 I came from, on my rig anyway.
!