Christinelson

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Last night my boyfriend started to build a new computer. When installing the processor into his motherboard, he did not first lift the little arm on the socket. Instead, he placed the processor, then lifted the arm. The processor dropped into place, but now, even with the arm up, we cannot get the processor out. Even holding the board upside down won't let the processor drop out. For now we've placed the arm down, but he's stopped the build. He's worried that he's done something to the processor/motherboard or both. Is it likely that he broke something, or are the components ok, but stuck and do you have any hints for getting it unstuck. Thank you!

CPU is AMD quad core.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Unfortunately it sounds like he bent the pins on the processor during the install... You will have to CAREFULLY pry the processor out with the arm in the up position with a VERY SMALL SCREWDRIVER... I really do not recommend this for the faint of heart as this could damage both the mount and the processor. BE VERY CAREFUL! If you are able to get the processor out ... look for bent of broken pins.... and hope for none.....

fahdh2

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
No, most definitely not. I think you may have ruined both the processor and motherboard socket. You will probably have to replace both. If you still have your receipts, you should be able to RMA the CPU and mobo from where you bought them or return them to the companies (AMD and motherboard company) for replacements if you are still under warranty.

G

Don't be afraid to push the lever back all of the way, as a computer tech I've realized that sometimes it can get "jammed" and it doesn't seem like it's going to budge. Just push the lever back until its at a 90 degree angle and everything will be fine, no bent pins.